Founded in 1969, Governors State University GSU is a four-year public university in the state of Illinois that champions openness, innovation and flexibility. Serving more than 5,500 students, GSU offers 64 degree and 24 certificate programs and our students earn the qualifications needed to succeed in business, industry, healthcare, the arts and education.
GSU is expert at guiding freshman and transfer students to
discover the right degree program to excite their interests. The university’s
extensive list of graduate programs prepares students in a variety of fields
for the next level of academic achievement. The GSU experience includes a comprehensive
student life, both on and off campus, with on-campus housing; club sports and
recreation; civic engagement; international student services; more than 70
student clubs and organizations; the world renowned Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park sculpture
park, the Center for Performing Arts and much more.
Set amongst 750 acres of prairie, GSU is located 40 miles
south of Chicago, and is proud to offer the most affordable university
undergraduate tuition rate in the state of Illinois. The university faculty, administration and
staff are committed to providing a quality education, embracing diversity and
serving students with excellence.
Governors State University is an exciting place. A place full of big ideas, with all kinds of people who find a home here:
- Students of every age and background who come here for a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree – whatever it takes to move them forward in their career or profession,
- Faculty whose love of teaching matches their scholarly appetite for research,
- Businesses and government agencies who look to us and our certificate programs to build a smarter, more skilled workforce,
- Students – new and continuing – from all kinds of backgrounds, all kinds of jobs, all kinds of interests who look to us to deliver learning at the times, places and in the forms that work for their busy lives,
- People from all over the Chicago area who come to our Center for Performing Arts and sculpture garden for inspiration and pure fun,
- Alumni who found their love for learning at GSU and just keep coming back for continuing education.
Which are you?
The President's Office
Big ideas—that’s what life is all about at Governors State University. Students, faculty and staff have the energy to solve big problems and to find even bigger opportunities. Read More >>
Mission and Strategic Plan