Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Governors State University's academic advisors are complying with the shelter in place order and are working remotely until further notice. Please check this webpage regularly for additional information.
All appointments will be via telephone or other virtual methods until further notice; and if by telephone, we will call the number listed in the portal, unless another number is given. There are multiple ways to schedule an appointment:
- You can e-mail or call your advisor directly
- You can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can use GSU Star, if you are a continuing student
Advisors will be maintaining their normal schedule with at least one night a week with evening appointments.
Responses to emails and returned phone calls may be slightly delayed due to the demand during the registration period.
Please check the GSU COVID-19 webpage for updates and additional information regarding the pandemic.
Any questions pertaining to classwork, assignment due dates, extensions, incompletes, or letter grades will need to be directed to your individual instructors. If you have general questions about remote learning, please visit GSU's dedicated Student Resources page. If there has been a temporary change in the policies related to withdrawals and P/NC, please see your advisor for more information or review the FAQ.
Thank you for your flexibility and understanding during these unusual circumstances.
Please feel to reach out to us at email@example.com if you have questions.
Whether you're enrolled in general studies, haven't decided a major yet, or have your sights set on the career of your dreams, the Undergraduate Academic Advising Center is here to make sure you're on the best track towards earning your degree. If you need to contact your advisor or locate any program-specific resources, please select your respective college or status below.
As a student, you are expected to carry out the following responsibilities to ensure you receive the adequate advising services you need for success:
- Keep track of all of your advising materials
- Come to advising appointments prepared with questions
- Fully understand your degree requirements and how to access university and program policies and procedures
- Be fully aware of all deadlines. Check the University Academic Calendar regularly
- Accept responsibility for your actions, decisions, and academic performance
- Check your GSU e-mail regularly
Academic advisors must meet the following expectations to ensure you are receiving the appropriate guidance towards graduation:
- Assist students with planning academic programs
- Communicate the programs curriculum, requirements, policies and procedures
- Provide an advising environment that is open, respectful and supportive
- Maintain confidentiality (as per FERPA regulations)
- Encourage and support students in fulfilling their academic goals
To find your advisor and program-specific resources, please select your college or status.