As a teacher, you lead students towards becoming lifelong learners every day in the classroom. With a certificate in Teacher Leadership, you can expand your impact through school leadership roles that affect more than a single class of students.
Apply nowRequest info
Our program will provide you with many advantages that ensure an exceptional and accessible education:
- • Convenient and effective blend of online, hybrid, and face-to-face coursework
- • Accelerated 7-week course format, one evening per week
- • Most affordable tuition rate in Chicagoland area.
- • Program leads to the Teacher Leadership endorsement in Illinois.
- • Only 6 courses (18 total credit hours) required for completion.
- • Skills gained in this program will prepare you to influence student outcomes for many years in any school leadership role you choose to pursue.
- • Candidates will be prepared for school leadership roles such as team leaders, instructional coaches, department chairs, and curriculum directors upon completion.
- • No ILTS content test required.
- • After receiving licensure and certificate in Teacher Leadership from Governors State, candidates can receive an additional master’s degree in Educational Administration – Principal Leadership with only 18-21 additional hours.
"Teacher leaders are critical for today’s schools. Our curriculum supplies the foundational knowledge and skills teachers need to drive school improvement beyond their own classroom."
– Dr. David Conrad, Assistant Professor and Coordinator of Educational Administration
Meet more faculty
- • Must hold an earned master's degree from an accredited institution
- • Official transcripts: undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or higher OR scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test including a score of “4” or higher on the Writing Subtest
- • Letter of application expressing interest in the program with supporting reasons
- • Valid and current Illinois Professional Educator License
- • Two years of full-time teaching experience on a valid Illinois teaching license
- • A letter of recommendation and support from applicant”s school district administrator
- • Verification of employment from the district, verifying employment and indicating number of years employed
- • During the first class, submission of a professional portfolio demonstrating impact on student learning and teacher leadership, and a successful interview and written scenario.
If you have any questions regarding the admissions process, please contact Academic Advisor Carla Johnson at email@example.com or 708-235-3989 or Educational Administration Program Coordinator Dr. David Conrad at firstname.lastname@example.org or 708-235-7575.
Visualize your path to success by visiting our university catalog to view all courses for the Teacher Leadership Certificate program.