We are honored to welcome you into the GSU family and assist you in reaching your academic goals.

Whether you are a veteran, survivor, dependent, or service member, you bring a wealth of experience to your college career and enrich the experience of those you contact. Visit our Veterans page to see all the resources we have to support your success at GSU.

Ready to Apply?  

Complete your application online now at: https://apply.govst.edu/apply/

Freshman admissions is for fall or spring only, no summer admissions*. Transfer program admit for fall, spring and summer semesters. Graduate check the catalog for appropriate entry terms by major based on academic program. 

  • Application Fee Waiver


    The application fee for veterans and service members is waived. This fee waiver does not, however, apply to the following programs:

    Communication Disorders
    Occupational Therapy  

    Physical Therapy  

  • The Academic Catalog


    The academic catalog is your source for specific admission requirements and degree requirements for the program to which you are applying. Please be sure to check the catalog for details.

  • Military Transcripts


    Several of our degree programs accept military academic credit.

    To have your military transcript sent to GSU, follow the links below. All transcripts will be forwarded directly to the office of the Coordinator for Veterans and Military Personnel.

    Army ACE Registry Transcript (ARRT)
    Sailor/Marine ACE Registry Transcript (SMART)
    Community College of the Air Force
    Coast Guard Institute  

  • Submit Your Documents


    Upload or mail a copy of your military ID or form DD214:

      Governors State University - Admission Processing

      1 University Parkway

      University Park, IL 60484

    Electronic transcripts can be sent to apotranscripts@govst.edu. In order for them to be considered official, they must be sent to GSU directly from the issuing institution.

  • Prepare for Course Registration


    After completing the application process, please follow these steps to prepare for course registration:

    • Upon admission, you will receive an e-mail with your login to the MyGSU student portal.
    • Please contact your advisor to arrange an appointment. Your advisors information can be found within     the myGSU portal or on your admission letter viewable in your application portal. 
    • Use the MyGSU portal to register for courses 
  • Veterans Education Assistance


    In honor of your service, GSU accepts a wide variety of education benefits. Whether you are a veteran, survivor, dependent or servicemember, be sure to read on to see all that is available to you. You'll also find important information for veterans on the websites of the Illinois Student Assistance Commissionand the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Also be sure to visit our Veterans page to see all the resources we have to support your success at GSU.

    If you have questions about your education benefits, please contact Military-Connected Student Services at veterans@govst.edu or 708-235-7597.

  • Resources for Active Duty Military


    Our School of Extended Learning provides assistance to active duty military in the form of distance learning courses. Service members have the opportunity to complete a bachelor's degree by combining their military academic credit with previously completed college credit.
    For more information, please visit the Office of Continuing Education.

*Honorably discharged veterans are welcome to apply for freshman admission in either the fall or spring semester.