Do you have any admissions questions? Check our FAQs below to find answers.

  • Which application should I complete?


    You are a freshman applicant if you currently attend high school, have graduated from high school or have passed the GED and have never attended a college, university or trade school after graduating from high school or have less than 24 semester hours from a regionally accredited institution.

    You are a transfer applicant if you have 24 semester hours or more from a regionally accredited institution.

    You are a graduate level student if you have previously earned a bachelor's degree or higher.

  • How can I determine the status of my application?


    Contact the Office of Admissions at 708.534.4490 or email for an update on the status of your application.

  • Will all of my credits transfer?


    Most college level credits from a regionally accredited college or university will transfer. Make sure that you check the grade requirements for the academic program that you're interested in. As a general rule, a grade of "C" or 2.0 or higher is required. In some cases, credits will not transfer because they do not meet the requirements of the program that you're applying to. Visit our transferology website for more information about transferring your credits.

  • Are there resources available for students interested in transferring to GSU?


    The following links and information are helpful to undergraduate students looking to transfer to GSU as well as for area administrators, faculty and staff.

  • Can I take individual courses without pursuing a degree?


    Absolutely! You will apply for admission as a non-degree seeking student, which does not require you to submit transcripts. Non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid.

  • Where can I get a university catalog?


    You can find the university catalog at

  • Are there programs available for students studying at a distance?


    Distance learning is one of GSU's strengths. We offer more than 130 courses online or as distance learning programs. GSU also offers correspondence and tele-courses. Students who enroll in any of our distance learning courses are charged in-state tuition rates no matter where they live. Additional information is available from the GSU School of Extended Learning.

  • How do I know if my transcripts are official?


    Request official transcript(s) from each college or university you have attended and have them sent to:

    Governors State University
    Office of Admissions
    1 University Parkway
    University Park, IL60484-0975

    Important: Do not open transcripts sent directly to you. Instead, please forward the transcript directly to GSU at the above address.

    Official transcripts can also be sent electronically from the sending institution to Governors State by having them emailed to

  • Do I need to attend a new student orientation?


    Yes, you are required to attend new student orientation. Should you be accepted, dates will be provided.