Application Materials

  1. Online Application Form (GSU Application in English or ApplyESL Application in your own language) 
  2. Scanned Copy of Passport Identity Page or Copy of Identification written in English
  3. Financial Document and/or Affidavit of Support for I-20 to be submitted to Office of International Services ( 
  4. Permanent residents and naturalized citizens, please submit the scanned copy of permanent residency card or American passport. 

How to Apply

  • Submit ELLC Application through GSU (in English) HERE, OR 
  • Submit application in your language using buttons below

Deferred Enrollment

Deferred enrollment is not automatic. Any admitted students who fail to show up for the language course once it has begun, they should contact the ELLC office to differ their admissions to the future semester to receive a new I-20 and/or admission letter.  

English Language Proficiency Policy


International students may wish to attend a full-time Graduate Program at Governors State University. In order to do so, English proficiency must demonstrated through completion of the ESL Program or through submission of IELTS, PTE, or TOEFL scores. Please contact for more information about the English proficiency minimum score requirements.


Obtaining a Student Visa


Once you have applied to the English Language Learning Center, you can begin the process of obtaining your student visa.


To obtain your visa, you must first submit the following items to our office: 

  • A copy of the first page of your government issued passport 
  • A copy of a bank statement that indicates the equivalent of $28,550USD (This is 11 months tuition and living expenses that we need to see to issue I-20 document for F-1 student visa). This bank statement must not be dated later than 6 months from the time of the application.   
  • If the bank statement is in another person’s name, such as a parent’s name, then you must also submit an Affidavit of Support.  

The documents can be emailed to


Once these items are sent to our office, we will create an I-20 for you to use to obtain your student visa. You can find more information and instructions about the student visa process here at our Office of International Services website


Transfering SEVIS


Some students may already have a student visa, and would like to transfer their SEVIS information over to Governors State University. For more information about transferring your SEVIS, please see this page on our Office of International Services website. 


Pre-Arrival Information


We provide airport pick up service for students who will live in Governors State University's Residence Hall. If you are in need of transportation from the airport to our school upon your arrival, please notify the English Language Learning Center,, and we will arrange a pick-up for you.




If you are in need of housing during your attendance to our program, we offer living arrangements through our University Housing page.