Financial Support

Financial Aid for students who are experiencing homelessness is available.

The FAFSA contains three questions that ask about homelessness and this status must be verified.

College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007 (CCRAA) expands the definition of “independent student” to include unaccompanied homeless youth. Specifically, the CCRAA states that youth who are 1) unaccompanied and homeless, or 2) unaccompanied, self-supporting and at-risk of homelessness at any time during the school year in which they sign the FAFSA, are considered independent.

The Office of Financial Aid can work with students whose housing status has changed to reassess financial aid awards. For more information, visit the Financial Aid website or contact Financial Aid by email, phone 708.534.4480, or in person in D1400.

Food and Nutritional Support

Location: A-1115, 1 University Pkwy, University Park, IL
Hours: Monday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., Wednesday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Thursday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.

The Food Pantry, located in A1115, is available Monday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., Wednesday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., and Thursday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., which is subject to change. At other times, please contact the Center for Student Engagement and Intercultural Programs at 708.235.7362 or A2100.

A list of local community food pantries (PDF) is available on the GSU4U website.

Illinois LINK Card for SNAP Benefits: GSU4U partners with community organizations to host SNAP outreach events to assist students with LINK card applications. If students need assistance before the next on-campus event, current partner information is available on the GSU4U website.

Microwaves are available in the café and in the Jaguar Den (A2140). University Housing offers kitchen facilities on each floor for residential student use.

Housing Support

University Housing accepts housing applications and may offer a housing contract to students if space exists.

  • • Housing contracts are for 9 month or 12-month periods. There are no short-term housing contracts. Students with 12-month contracts may stay year-round, 9 month contracts may pay a per-night fee to stay during break periods (winter break & spring break). Summer contracts are also available.

  • • On-campus housing is only available for currently enrolled students. No family housing is available.

  • • Housing Guest & Visitation Policy: An overnight guest in Prairie Place may stay a maximum of 48 hours within a seven-day period. Exceptions may be granted by the Director of University Housing if special circumstances exist. Guests must be registered and escorted by their residential host at all times. The complete guest policy is available in the Housing Handbook.

For more information, visit the Housing University website or contact University Housing by email, phone 708.235.7110, or in person in C1330.

Emergency Shelter: There is no emergency shelter on campus. A list of local shelters (PDF) is available on the GSU4U website.

Personal Care Support

In addition to food, the Food Pantry (A1115) also has personal care items available for students.

The Recreation & Fitness Center includes shower and locker facilities available for student use. The center is open seven days a week during the fall and spring semesters, and closed on Sundays during the summer session. Student lockers are available for $5.00 per term. Lockers may be used to store books, other academic materials, and valuables. Students in need are eligible for a free locker rental and should contact Jaguar Den staff to register.

Academic & Career Support

The Undergraduate Advising Center offers academic advising to undergraduate students. For more information, contact the center by email at, phone 708.534.8043, or in person in C3385.

Assistance Services for Students with Disabilities GSU is committed to providing all students equal access to university programs and facilities. Students who need accommodations based on disability should contact Access Services for Students with Disabilities (ASSD). Students must register with ASSD before faculty are required to provide appropriate and reasonable accommodations. For more information, or to register, please contact ASSD by email, or call 708-235-3968. Please be sure to contact ASSD the first week of classes to ensure that faculty are aware of accommodations for that semester.

The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) is a federally funded grant program to assist unemployed individuals in entering or returning to the workforce. GSU has many of its programs approved for WIOA funding by the Will County Workforce Board. Although GSU does not provide vouchers, we honor them for our approved programs. For more information, please visit:

The CUBE and Library offer computers for student use and many common programs needed for classes. The library also maintains a supply of phone chargers for students to borrow while using the library.

Health, Wellness, & Emotional Support

The Counseling and Wellness Center provides free medical services and counseling services to enrolled students. Appointments may be scheduled online. For more information, visit the Counseling and Wellness Center website or contact the center by phone 708.235.7334, or in person in A1120.

The Interfaith Prayer and Meditation Room is available to students, located in the Jaguar Den. For any concerns regarding the Interfaith Prayer and Meditation room please contact the Center for Student Engagement and Intercultural Programs by phone 708.235.7362, or in person in A2100.

Child and Dependent Care Support

CCAMPIS is a federal grant from the U.S. Department of Education to provide free or discounted childcare to ensure student parent enrollment, persistence, and graduation. The goal of CCAMPIS is to assist low-income, full-time GSU undergraduate students with childcare expenses at the Family Development Center so that they persist and graduate. Applications are reviewed on a first come, first-served basis. Read more about eligibility and program requirements on the GSU4U website and apply online today!

Financial Aid For a student with dependents, an allowance for costs expected for dependent care may be included in your cost of attendance. This covers care during periods that include, but are not limited to, class time, study time, fieldwork, internships, and commuting time for the student. If approved, the amount of the allowance will be based on the number and age of your dependents and will not exceed reasonable costs in the community for the kind of care provided. To see if you qualify, complete a Budget Adjustment Form and submit it with additional documentation to your Financial Aid advisor. For more information, visit the GSU4U website or contact Financial Aid by phone 708.534.4480, or email


Governors State University Bookstore, managed by Follett, sells textbooks, GSU and Jaguar apparel, and other academic supplies. Students may use financial aid to purchase books and course materials in the GSU Bookstore via FA Link prior to financial aid disbursement. The University Library can assist with locating course texts via the interlibrary loan system. For more information, visit the GSU Bookstore at or contact them by phone 708.534.4558, or email: