GSU Student Emergency Fund
The GSU Student Emergency Fund provides limited emergency financial support to Governors State University students who are unable to meet essential educational expenses due to a temporary or unexpected hardship. Priority funding is for students with an outstanding or current student account balance that inhibits their ability to maintain enrollment.
Distributed funds depend upon the individual situation of each student and the demonstrated need. Emergency funds are typically awarded once and are applied directly to a student's account. The fund is supported entirely by donations and awards do not need to be repaid.
- Degree-seeking students who are enrolled in courses during the semester in which the funds are being requested.
- Students must be in good academic and disciplinary standing.
- Students must provide sufficient documentation of financial hardship.
- All other financial resources, including student loans, have been exhausted or are insufficient or unavailable.
Examples of Educational Expenses
- Tuition and Fees
- University Housing
- Meal Plan
- Textbooks and Course Materials
To apply, submit the online application* and upload available supporting documentation. You will need to log into the application using your GSU username and password.
Requests will be reviewed on a first come, first served basis by a committee comprised of representatives from Institutional Advancement, Financial Aid, Financial Services, and Student Affairs. Other offices or departments may be consulted as needed.
*As of May 11, 2020, no more applications will be accepted. If more funding becomes available, the application will be reopened.
If you have questions or need assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 708.235.2845, or visit the Office of the Dean of Students in C1310, Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.