We are here to help!

GSU4U is an initiative to strengthen support for student success. GSU4U connects students facing personal difficulties, such as food and housing insecurity, to campus and community resources. We are dedicated to assisting all students, no matter how serious or small the situation may seem.

What we do:

  • We connect students to community agencies that offer assistance with housing, food, clothing, utilities, and prescription fulfillment.
  • We assist with applications for SNAP benefits.
  • We refer students to healthcare and counseling services.
  • We connect students to academic tutoring and planning services.
  • We provide departmental presentations related to helping students and staff identify distressed students.  

What students say:

"GSU4U has been the bridge to help me to succeed here at GSU. The hardship of being a student without a stable place to live is extremely difficult especially when you do not have a family support system. GSU4U has given me access to resources and stability that will help me to succeed in my program and to continue towards graduation. I believe in GSU4U." - Anonymous Student

Need help? Please contact GSU4U. Your information will be kept private.

Email: GSU4U@govst.edu
Phone: 708.235.7334
Office: A-1120

The office is open Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. If this is an emergency, please call the GSU Department of Public Safety at 708.534.4900 or local police at 911.

Off-campus organizations and resources listed on this website are provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute or imply an endorsement of the organization by Governors State University. The views and opinions expressed in any referenced document do not necessarily state or reflect those of Governors State University.

  • Need help? Start with a GSU4U Ambassador!


    GSU4U Ambassadors are faculty and staff who are aware of the challenges students may experience around hunger and housing and can help students connect with and navigate resources. Ambassadors can be identified by the GSU4U Ambassador sticker (pictured above).

    Want to become an Ambassador? Workshops occur each semester, contact gsu4u@govst.edu for more information.

    Academic Advising     Lisa Helmlhendrickson@govst.edu
     Kerri O'Sheakoshea@govst.edu
     Chastinee Nelsoncnelson8@govst.edu
     Ivan Sotoisoto@govst.edu
     Stacey Amedeosamedeo@govst.edu
     Sabrina Slocumsslocum@govst.edu
     Rebecca Schreursrschreurs@govst.edu
     Pam Pennpstipanich@govst.edu
     Tina Hughes Burkethughesburke@govst.edu
     Nichole Dalalyndalaly@govst.edu
     Karina Hernandez Cazarezkhernandezcazarez@govst.edu
    Access Services for Students with DisabilitiesAngela Szczepanik-Sanchezaszczepaniksanchez@govst.edu
    AdmissionsTiffani Robertsontrobertson3@govst.edu
     Collice King      cking@govst.edu
     Craig Berry     cberry@govst.edu
     Jason Vignonevignone@govst.edu
     Emmanuel Lopez     elopez6@govst.edu
     Lauren Medinalmedina2@govst.edu
     Melinda Arce-Gudinomarce-gudino@govst.edu
     Matt Greczekmgreczek@govst.edu
    AthleticsMatt Eggertmeggert@govst.edu
    Auxiliary Services & University HousingMushtaq Choudhary     mchoudhary@govst.edu
     Corinne Martincmartin8@govst.edu
    AdvancementKymbria Youngkyoung6@govst.edu
    Career ServicesTracy Jonestjones26@govst.edu
    Center for the Junior YearMonika Okitikpimokitikpi@govst.edu
    Center for Student Engagement & Intercultural ProgramsAdrienne Easterlingaeasterling@govst.edu
    College of Arts & SciencesMerri Wilkersonmwilkerson@govst.edu
     George Nkulenugnkulenu@govst.edu
     Novia Pagonenpagone@govst.edu
     Kerri Morriskmorris2@govst.edu
     Ben Almassibalmassi@govst.edu
     Laura Whitelwhite@govst.edu
     Erik Lovellelovell@govst.edu
     Rashidah Muhammadrmuhammad@govst.edu
     Eddie Gamboaegamboa@govst.edu
     Lara Stachelstache@govst.edu
     Chris Greinercgreiner@govst.edu
    College of BusinessTingting Hethe@govst.edu
     Alice Keane     akeane@govst.edu
    College of EducationRaquel Riosrrios@govst.edu
     Matthew Cooneymcooney@govst.edu
     Amy Vujaklijaavujaklija@govst.edu
     Lamise Shawahinlshawahin@govst.edu
     Timothy Pedigotpedigo@govst.edu
    College of Health & Human ServicesCynthia Carrccarr@govst.edu
     Ann Jasoajaso@govst.edu
     Jolander Jeffriesjjeffries@govst.edu
    Dual Degree Program    Jessica Spechtjspecht@govst.edu
     Sharita Walkerswalker3@govst.edu
     Alexandro Venegas     avenegas2@govst.edu
    Extended LearningMichelle Sebascomsebasco@govst.edu
     Katie Rosaleskkarstensen@govst.edu
     Paige Fisherpfisher@govst.edu
    Facilities Development and ManagementDonna Gilldgill3@govst.edu
    Financial AidFrank Serna     fserna@govst.edu
     LaSheena Fullerlfuller@govst.edu
     Pat Rounsavelleprounsavelle@govst.edu
     Sharry Murawskismurawski@govst.edu
     Corey Droletcdrolet@govst.edu
     Barbara Francisquebfrancisque@govst.edu
    Financial ServicesLinda Theres-Jonesltheres-jones@govst.edu
     Jeanna Brown     jbrown24@govst.edu
     Brave Fungbfung@govst.edu
    Human ResourcesCarin Cooperccooper2@govst.edu
     Sandra Maraksmarak@govst.edu
    Information Technology ServicesGwendolyn Williamsgwilliams4@govst.edu
    Institutional ResearchJessica Haynesjhaynes4@govst.edu
    International ServicesAmy Soubasoub@govst.edu
    LibraryElizabeth Sterneresterner@govst.edu
    Marketing and CommunicationsIsabella Hollingsworthihollingsworth@govst.edu
    Office of the Dean of StudentsCorey Williams     cwilliams43@govst.edu
     Kelly Grab   kgrab@govst.edu
     Lisa Carralcarra@govst.edu
    Office of the ProvostColleen Sextoncsexton@govst.edu
     Beth Cada     bcada@govst.edu
    Public SafetyOfficer H. Jason Turnerhturner@govst.edu
    RegistrarKimberly Petersonkpeterson1@govst.edu
     Megan Chaffee     mchaffee@govst.edu 
     Stephanie Contreras-Juarez     sjuarez@govst.edu


  • Quick Overview of Campus Resources


    Toolkit of Campus and Community Resources (PDF) includes information about financial aid, housing, food, storage, shower facilities, books and class materials, and emergency necessities.


  • GSU Student Emergency Fund



    GSU Student Emergency Fund

    The GSU Student Emergency Fund provides limited emergency financial support to Governors State University students who are unable to meet essential educational expenses due to a temporary or unexpected hardship. Priority funding is for students with an outstanding or current student account balance that inhibits their ability to maintain enrollment. 

    Distributed funds depend upon the individual situation of each student and the demonstrated need. Emergency funds are typically awarded once and are applied directly to a student's account. The fund is supported entirely by private donations and awards do not need to be repaid. 

    Eligibility Requirements

    • Degree-seeking students who are enrolled in courses during the semester in which the funds are being requested.
    • Students must be in good academic and disciplinary standing.
    • Students must provide sufficient documentation of financial hardship.
    • All other financial resources, including student loans, have been exhausted or are insufficient or unavailable.*

    Examples of Educational Expenses

    • Tuition and Fees
    • University Housing
    • Meal Plan
    • Textbooks and Course Materials

    Request Assistance

    For assistance, please email gsu4u@govst.edu or call 708.235.2845. A staff member will be able to discuss your specific circumstances and collect supporting documentation. Requests will be reviewed on a first come, first served basis. 

    *Contact the Office for Financial Aid directly at faid@govst.edu so that they can assist you with financing your education and other related expenses. If you have not already, you are strongly encouraged to complete the FAFSA online at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa using GSU’s school code 009145.


  • SNAP (Link Card / Food Stamp) Benefits



    Need help accessing food? SNAP can be a useful resource during difficult times. Governors State University partners with mRelief to provide students easy access to SNAP benefits through text messaging, web, and voice. Find out if you qualify in just a few minutes so that you can get the help that you need.

    In addition, GSU4U hosts on-campus workshops with representatives from the Northern Illinois Food Bank who help students apply for SNAP benefits in person. Workshop dates will be published online and sent via e-mail at the beginning of each semester (Fall /Spring). 

  • GSU and Community Food Pantry Resources


    The GSU Food Pantry (A-1115) is available for GSU students Mondays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. To access the pantry, please go to A-2100 (Center for Student Engagement and Intercultural Programs) and tell a staff member that you would like to visit the pantry. Only 1 or 2 students will be able to access the pantry at a time in order to observe the Center for Disease Control’s recommendations for social distancing. Hand sanitizer, latex gloves, and plastic grocery bags are available for your use. Students must have their Governors State University ID to utilize the Food Pantry.

    If you need other items or are unable to come to campus, view a list of community-based food pantries and meal services (PDF).

  • Housing & Shelter Resources


    View a list of homeless shelters and housing resources (PDF) in Chicago, the South Suburbs, and Cook County.

    The South Suburban Cook County Call Center assists with housing referrals and can be reached at 877.426.6515 on Monday-Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm. The call center provides two types of referrals: Homelessness Prevention (HP) Referrals (rental assistance, security deposit) & Diversion/Short Term Stabilization (STS) Referrals (Non-financially based, case management). To qualify for the HP referrals the individual must have a income and proof of their hardship, (i.e. what prevented them from paying last months rent or proof of why they must move and can't pay forward for security deposit). STS referrals are given to those who do not qualify for HP. However, STS referrals are limited and it is recommended to call early in the day for assistance.

    The Illinois Department of Human Services' Homeless Prevention Program provides rental/mortgage assistance, utility assistance, approved case management and approved supportive services directly related to the prevention of homelessness to eligible individuals and families who are in danger of eviction, foreclosure or homelessness or are currently homeless. The program is designed to stabilize individuals and families in their existing homes, shorten the amount of time that individuals and families stay in shelters, and assist individuals and families with securing affordable housing. For more information, visit the IDHS website.

    The Community and Economic Development Association of Cook County, Inc. (CEDA)'s staff of HUD-certified Housing Counselors are available to assist with foreclosure prevention, pre-purchase, post-purchase, rental counseling, and financial counseling. To schedule a telephone or online counseling session (accessible through a computer or mobile smart phone) please call 312-288-8010 or email housing1@cedaorg.net. For more information, visit cedaorg.net/find-services/housing-services/.

    The Illinois Housing Development Authority partners with lenders, developers, local governments, nonprofits, community groups, and others to finance affordable housing across Illinois. They provide financial assistance to low- and moderate-income homebuyers and homeowners, offer resources to developers who build or preserve affordable and mixed-income rental housing, and provide oversight for hundreds of affordable rental communities across the state. For more information about services, please visit ihda.org.

    The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) has published resources to assist individuals who are having trouble paying their rent, utilities, or other housing costs. State and local programs are distributing billions of dollars in rental assistance to help renters stay housed during the pandemic. Visit the CFPB’s Rental Assistance Finder to find out what this means for you and what you can do. The CFPB’s site also includes resources to help renters and landlords understand other resources to help navigate various financial hardships related to the pandemic.


  • Personal Care


    The Storefront on Sixty Third offers donated clothing, home furnishings, and decor-related goods from Chicago businesses to more than 55,000 residents in the Chicago Lawn area.

  • Legal Services


    Illinois Legal Aid Online's mission is to increase access to justice for lower-income and vulnerable Illinois residents. The website includes information on legal issues (laws, filing paperwork), how to find a lawyer, and connections to resources. Information is available regarding the following issues:

    • Family & Safety
    • House & Apartment
    • Money & Debt
    • Health & Benefits
    • Business & Work
    • School and Education
    • Citizens & Immigration
    • Crime & Traffic

    Immigration Legal Services Resource Guide provides a directory of organizations that assist with immigration and naturalization services in Illinois. 

    Cook County Free/Low Cost Legal Services Directory

    Will County Free/Low Cost Legal Services Directory

    A number of law schools, bar associations and nonprofit organizations across the state offer pro bono legal advice and representation for those who are unable to afford legal services. Please visit the Illinois Attorney General website for a list of referrals.

  • Physical & Emotional / Mental Healthcare Services



    • The GSU  Counseling and Wellness Center offers free medical and counseling services to registered students.
    • Aunt Martha's offers care coordination, healthcare services, child welfare, and community wellness resources. Location: 19990 Governors Highway, Olympia Fields, IL 60461 Phone: 708.747.7100
    • The Illinois Department of Human Services’ Mental Health Division has launched a free and anonymous emotional support text line, Call4Calm, for Illinois residents experiencing stress and mental health issues related to COVID-19. Individuals who would like to speak with a mental health professional can text TALK (HABLAR for Spanish) to 5-5-2-0-2-0 and will receive a call from a counselor employed by a local community mental health center to provide support. Individuals can also text 5-5-2-0-2-0, with key words such as “unemployment," “food,” or “shelter” to receive information on how to access services.
    • Resource guide to support physical, mental & sexual health for students.

  • CCAMPIS Grant for Child Care Assistance


    Child Care Access Means Parents in School (CCAMPIS) 

    Child care financial assistance for Governors State University student-parents so they can graduate!

    The goal of CCAMPIS is to assist low-income student parents with child care expenses at the GSU Family Development Center (FDC) to ensure student parent enrollment, persistence, and graduation. CCAMPIS is a 4-year federal grant awarded to GSU by the U.S. Department of Education. Continued availability of funds is dependent upon the U.S. Department of Education.

    Family Development Center:

    The mission of the FDC is to provide an exceptional educational experience that exemplifies best practices for children, an innovative learning environment for GSU students and creates a network of support for the families we serve, promoting life-long learning. The FDC serves children six weeks to 5 years old.

    Eligibility Requirements:

    Students must be a Pell recipient or be Pell eligible. To determine Pell eligibility, students must apply for financial aid. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid at faid@govst.edu with any questions. Graduate students and students who are in the United States for a temporary purpose, are eligible if they provide a statement of their income level or a copy of their tax returns to prove that they are low income in accordance with the established low income levels table.

    Priority funding will be granted to full-time students. This helps to ensure that students complete timely degrees and obtain employment that can support their family.

    Priority funding will be granted to individuals with infants and children in full-time care who qualify for Early Head Start (EHS) and Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP).

    Program Requirements:

    • Students must attend an orientation and one parent/child program or activity per semester. GSU sponsored-programs and activities will be e-mailed to students each semester. Community programs and activities are permitted with prior approval of the Office of the Dean of Students.
    • Students must make satisfactory academic progress to receive ongoing funding. 
    • Students must complete an annual evaluation of their program, care, and personal experience to receive ongoing funding.
    • Students who graduate are required to complete a post-graduation survey on their degree attainment and employment outcomes with CCAMPIS support.

    Program Benefits:

    • Access to free or discounted full-day early childhood education.
    • The Family Development Center (FDC) teaching staff will assist you with monitoring the healthy development of your child as they receive childcare through the FDC.
    • Family engagement as full partners in the decisions that affect your children.
    • Referrals to community resources and services to support you and your family.
    • Workshops and activities to support both students and their children. 

    Participant Requirements:

    • Ensure your child attends programming Monday-Friday for the full day to ensure consistency and program benefits for your child
    • Maintain communication with the Office of the Dean of Students and report any barriers or concerns
    • Work with the Office of the Dean of Students at least once a semester to establish potential goals for the family and/or your child


    To apply, submit the online application and required supporting documentation. If you need assistance, contact gsu4u@govst.edu or 708.235.2845.

  • Child Care or Dependent Care Assistance


    For a student with dependents, an allowance for costs expected to be incurred for dependent care may be included in your cost of attendance. This covers care during periods that include, but are not limited to, class time, study time, field work, internships, and commuting time for the student. If approved, the amount of the allowance will be based on the number and age of such dependents and will not exceed reasonable costs in the community for the kind of care provided.

    Documentation required: Copies of three months of cancelled checks (front and back) and/or money orders made payable to the child care provider. If the student/parent is caring for an elderly relative residing in their home, they must provide: tax return for the elderly person, bills from a longterm care facility, asset information from the elderly person, the parent’s/student’s tax return to see whether the elderly person was claimed as an exemption, and information about the elderly person’s income, such as social security, pensions, and interest/dividend income. 

    Please complete the "Budget Adjustment Form" and submit it with additional documentation to your Financial Aid Advisor. See: https://www.govst.edu/forms-publications/

  • Transportation for Medicaid Participants


    First Transit assists Medicaid Participants who have limited access to non-emergency transportation to and from a Medicaid covered health care service.

    First Transit is the call center that the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services (HFS) contracted with to provide the review of prior authorizations for most non-emergency transportation. First Transit is NOT a transportation provider, and does not arrange transportation. First Transit does maintain a list of enrolled Medicaid transportation providers for Participants to select from.

    Information on eligibility and scheduling transportation is available on the First Transit Website.

  • Resources for Undocumented Students


    GSU publishes Resources for Undocumented Students including information about the Illinois DREAM Act, GSU admissions, DACA, financial resources, and community agencies.

    Illinois Temporary Driver's License for Undocumented (Non-Visa) Individuals

    Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights (ICIRR) publishes the Undocumented Student's Guide to College which includes information about navigating financial aid, student rights, community resources, and related laws.

     The Immigration Legal Services Resource Guide provides a directory of organizations that assist with immigration and naturalization services in Illinois. 

  • GSU Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act


    Governors State University has many of its programs approved by the Will County Workforce Board for funding by the Work Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act is a federally funded grant program to assist unemployed individuals in entering or returning to the workforce. These programs are certified to provide education and training to adults and dislocated workers who have been awarded vouchers under this act. Although, GSU does not provide vouchers we honor them for our approved programs.

    For more information, please visit: 

  • Community Resources in Response to COVID-19


    Community Resources in Response to COVID-19 

    The resources published in this document (PDF) have been submitted to the GSU4U program to support individuals during the COVID-19 outbreak. Off-campus organizations and resources are provided for informational purposes only and publication does not constitute or imply an endorsement by Governors State University. Individuals are encouraged to contact the community service providers and organizations directly for more information.

    The Pritzker administration released a wi-fi hotspot map to support Illinois students during the COVID-19 pandemic. Wi-fi hotspots are available at multiple locations, including local colleges and libraries. To find a hotspot near you, visit the hotspot map. 

    The Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) is a Federal Communications Commission program to help families and households struggling to afford internet service during the COVID-19 pandemic. The EBB will provide a discount of up to $50 per month towards broadband service for eligible households and up to $75 per month for households on qualifying Tribal lands. Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price. The EBB is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household. For more information about eligibility or to apply, visit: https://www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit