General Education Requirements: 37 – 41 hoursFull Program Requirements
Required Courses: 39 hours
Selectives: 9 hours
Electives: 35 hours
Total: 120 hours
Apply For A Bachelor of Arts in English Teacher Education Near Chicago
Governors State University is focused on preparing all students to be successful in the real world. With in-depth studies, those looking to obtain an English teacher education degree can acquire the English teaching industry’s skills and knowledge. Not only do we prepare our students with skills and knowledge, but we equip them with the confidence to excel in any career they find themselves in after graduation. Whether you plan to become a high school English teacher, a private English teacher, or move on to a graduate program so you can teach at a university level, we're ready to help make your dreams a reality.
Why Is Teaching English Important?
As someone who is planning to teach the English language to others, you need to understand the importance of the study. In fact, you will be doing more than teaching someone a language. Most likely, your students will already be fluent in English but looking for a more in-depth vision of what the English language holds. You might focus on playwriting, poetry, speaking, writing, reading, and a variety of other specifics regarding English. As your students learn literacy, you will shape the futures of many in the next generation.
Why Study English?
Awareness and appreciation for cultural, sociopolitical, and individual identity are fostered through the study of English literature and rhetoric. In addition to developing skills in written communication, organization and analysis; Governors State Bachelor of Arts in English leverages the study of literature to seek insight and understanding into the diversity of the human experience and to meet controversy and challenge in appropriate, practical, and intellectually satisfying ways.
GSU students interested in publishing can become a part of Reconstructed, the university’s entirely student-produced literary and visual arts journal. The journal is published annually and features creative writing and visual arts submitted by GSU students and alumni.
Reach your career goals
With an English degree, you may seek employment in a wide variety of fields, including writing, editing, publishing, and public relations, to name just a few.
If you wish to teach English at the secondary level, you may pursue the certificate in English education (24 credit hours) after completing your bachelor’s degree coursework. Many graduates also go on to pursue graduate study and teach at the college level.
Concentration in English Teacher Education
At Governors State University, the undergraduate major in English with a teacher education concentration prepares you to teach 21st-century literacy on the secondary level with the opportunity to obtain a middle grades endorsement. A strong academic background in English literature and composition and the methods of teaching the English content will prepare you for a meaningful career shaping the lives of the next generation of learners.
Teacher education at GSU is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation and approved by the Illinois State Board of Education. It has also been nationally recognized by the National Council of Teachers of English.
To be recommended for an Illinois State Board of Education teaching license, you must present evidence of having passed the Subject Matter Knowledge. You must complete a student teaching requirement in English and must meet other requirements for certification through approved programs in the Teacher Education and Certification section of the GSU catalog.
What Are Some Examples of Salaries and Jobs You Can Get With an English Teacher Education Degree?
You can get a lot of jobs with an English teacher education degree in Chicago, IL. Though some might be more obvious than others, there's a diverse list when you really take the time to discover your options. These jobs include:
- Middle-school English teacher - With our teacher education, you can obtain a middle grades endorsement to teach those in middle school and older. Your job would encompass teaching literature, reading, writing, poetry, and a variety of other topics related to the English language. Currently, the average salary of a middle school English teacher is $46,677.
- Homeschool consultant - Whether you focus on transitioning homeschool students to public school classrooms or helping moms teach their kids at home to provide their children with a comprehensive curriculum, homeschool consulting might be for you. Some homeschool consultants make up to $64,000 each year.
- Curriculum designer - During your time in the English teacher program, you will learn how to design effective curriculums for the grades you'll end up teaching in. You can take this one step further to become a curriculum designer. Some curriculum design jobs do require you have a graduate degree, so you may need additional education. Curriculum designers make on average about $62,000 per year.
- Author - After receiving a Bachelor of Arts in English teacher education, you'll be prepared to teach others in a greater audience as the author of a novel, instructional material, curriculum, how-to book, or a wide range of other texts. Your education will prepare you to portray your message so that others will understand and be entertained. Authors average a salary of $61,240 per year.
- Educational researcher - With a deeper knowledge of the world of education, you will be better equipped to research it. Your background in English will prepare you to write research papers about your work. Educational researchers often look at how education is playing out in the world today to learn how to better implement policies that will help children succeed. The average yearly salary for educational researchers sits above $100,000.
- Adult educator - Many adults around the United States are uneducated or poorly educated. Some do not understand the English language and will hire a tutor or adult educator to prepare themselves for a brighter future. As an adult educator, you might work in a community setting, or individual homes. You could work in a prison system or with immigrant support services. As an adult educator, you could make around $51,000 each year.
What Are the Benefits of Studying at Governors State University?
When you work toward a BA in English teacher education, you are working toward improving the future of the next generation. Your success as a student in this program is essential to the impact you're going to have on the lives of many others. Studying at Governors State University sets you up to find success with a stimulating experience that focuses on innovation, responsibility, and diversity. Our core values are what have made us one of the top universities worldwide. For example:
- We demonstrate to staff, community members, and students how to celebrate diversity while focusing on the differing opinions of those around us.
- We serve the citizens in our great community with an awareness that everyone plays a part in it.
- We invest in our students’ futures, helping each one realize the personal and professional goals that will make them succeed.
- We provide a first-class education to every student that walks through our doors.
- We prepare our students to hold high leadership positions, making a difference in the world around them.
- We promote growth in every student, pushing them to fulfill all civic, professional, cultural, and personal duties.
Let's Talk Admissions!
At Governors State University, we have a diverse campus of individuals committed to learning in Chicago, IL. With a BA in English teacher education, you become part of what makes our community so great. Contact us today at 708-534-5000, so we can talk about admissions and what it will take to get you enrolled.