Division: Science, Mathematics, and Technology
The Division of Science, Mathematics, and Technology (DSMT) has a Biology Graduate Assistant (GA) position available for the Spring 2021 term. The successful candidate will provide assistance for lab instructions, demonstrations, and undergraduate student research, and will work closely with the Laboratory Manager for normal operations of laboratories. The GA is expected to work with students in lab courses, perform basic instrument maintenance, assist with waste disposals, observe safety protocols, stock teaching and research labs with supplies, and maintain records of chemicals and reagents. This position requires a 20 hour/week commitment, and comes with a tuition waiver and a monthly stipend.
Requirements for eligibility:
- United States citizen or permanent resident status.
- Registered for at least six (6) credit hours in a graduate program, with science laboratory experiences.
- For first-year applicants, a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher at the most recent institute attended. For currently enrolled applicants, a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Per the university policy, GAs should not be employed outside the university.
- Graduate Assistant/Tuition Waiver Application form.
- Current CV.
- Educational/career goal statement.
- Two (2) reference letters from faculty or staff at GSU or last institute attended.
- For a re-appointment application, include Laboratory Assistantship Performance Evaluation forms.
Items to note:
- Graduate Assistants must maintain a minimum of six graduate credit hours per semester that apply to the completion of their degree requirements and are restricted to a maximum enrollment of 12 graduate credit hours per semester of appointment, except as approved by the respective chair and dean.
- In order to be eligible for reappointment, Graduate Assistants must maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average, must continue to make satisfactory progress toward the graduate degree, and satisfactorily perform assigned duties. Graduate Assistants are evaluated at the end of each term by their assigned supervisor(s).
- Upon appointment, Graduate Assistants must complete all required/relevant training (e.g., ethics, FERPA, etc.)
To Apply: Send the application material to Cathy Taffora (firstname.lastname@example.org) as PDF files in a single transmission.