Department: Office of the Dean of Students
Job Description: Under the supervision of the Director of Community Standards & Student Advocacy, the Graduate Assistant (GA) will play a key role in the day-to-day operations of the Community Standards and GSU4U programs within the Office of the Dean of Students. The Community Standards program administers the Student Code of Conduct and educates students about the university's expectations for student behavior and accountability. The GSU4U program connects students facing personal difficulties, such as food and housing insecurity, to campus and community resources. Specific responsibilities, tasks, and projects include:
- Administrative Support
- Manage initial intake, including receiving and directing walk-in, phone, and email communications
- Assist in the maintenance of student records via the Maxient online database
- Notify parties involved in conduct process of scheduled administrative meetings/hearings
- Oversee sanction completion and communication of outstanding sanctions to students
- Assist supervisor with assessment efforts, including semester and year-end program analysis reports
- Compile relevant hearing materials and coordinate hearing logistics
- Research community agencies, nonprofit organizations, and state services in Will and Cook counties.
- Education and Outreach
- Assist with training/presentations for Student Conduct Committee, Administrative Hearing Officers, student leaders (resident assistants, peer mentors, orientation leaders), Mastering College classes, and GSU4U Ambassadors
- Design and implement outreach initiatives on campus and within University Housing to promote awareness of University and Housing policies, GSU4U, and other initiatives
- Coordinate recruiting and selection of student members of Student Conduct Committee
- Provide feedback on educational sanctions for students found responsible for conduct
- Research and assist with the development of new sanctions or educational efforts, such as conflict coaching and decision making workshops
- Develop partnerships with local agencies and organizations to connect students with support services
- Coordinate campus visits of community resources to facilitate student utilization of resources
- Support & Referral Services
- Meet with students seeking support and referrals to assess needs and make appropriate referrals to support services both on campus and off-campus
- Answer questions about the student conduct process while maintaining student privacy
- Answer questions about student grievances, emergency/medical leaves, and other university processes
- Other Projects
- Assist the Office of the Dean of Students with projects related to departmental goals and objectives and/or designed to improve programs and services
eligibility: The ideal candidate will have the ability to:
- Communicate clearly and professionally by phone, e-mail, and in person,
- Maintain confidentiality of student records and other sensitive information,
- Achieve thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing a task (i.e., attention to detail),
- Be sensitive and empathetic to the complex needs of the individuals who seek out the Office of the Dean of Students, and
- Begin work or undertake a project on his or her own initiative, without needing to be told or encouraged to do so (i.e., self-starter).
- The GA will work directly with student records and therefore will need to successfully complete the University-provided FERPA training.
Items to note: Graduate Assistants
must maintain a minimum of six graduate credit hours per semester that apply to
the completion of their degree requirements and are restricted to a maximum
enrollment of 12 graduate credit hours per semester of appointment, except as
approved by the respective chair and dean.
In order to be
eligible for reappointment, Graduate Assistants must maintain a 3.0 cumulative
grade point average, must continue to make satisfactory progress toward the
graduate degree and satisfactorily perform assigned duties. Graduate Assistants
are evaluated at the end of each term by their assigned supervisor(s).
Graduate Assistants must complete all required/relevant training (e.g., ethics,
To Apply: Please visithttps://govst-csm.symplicity.com/ to apply for position.