Need assistance in applying your benefits? We are here to help!


New Students:

Welcome to Governors State University! To get started with applying your benefits at Govstate, we will request a few documents to have on file.

  • A copy of your DD214 (or the DD214 of the person you receive benefits from)
  • A certificate of eligibility for the benefit(s) you will be using at GovState

If you do not have copies of the documents listed above, please let us know. We can assist you obtaining all documentation you need to get started! Once you have the documents listed above submitted to us, then you can proceed to the step below for current students...


Current Students:

Veterans Benefit Form Processing

Veterans Benefit Forms must be completed each term to apply your educational benefits. They are completed via DocuSign, and must be sent to you directly via your GovState student email account. Please contact us at for a copy of the form. 

Important notes about the form:

  • When you open the landing page for the form, you will need to enter your academic advisor’s email address. Please be sure to only enter your academic advisor’s email address when prompted, and not the address as this will result in a misdirection of the form and will prevent it from being processed. If you are not sure what your academic advisor’s email address is, you can find it in the GovState staff directory:
  • Veterans Benefit Forms are processed for upcoming academic terms once the current term is concluded.


Important Information for Using Benefits at Govstate:

Our tuition and fee rate for GovState can be found here:

Tuition and Fees rates for GovState


Student Veteran Attendance or Participation in Courses Pending VA Payment in Compliance with 38 USC 3679(e):

In Compliance with 38 USC 3679(e), Governors State University will not take any of the four following actions toward any student using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while their payment from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs is pending to the educational institution:

  • Prevent their enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to;
  • Require they secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny their access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA’s Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class;
  • Provide written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment


Helpful GovState Contacts:

Veterans Resource Center: or call 708.235.7597

Financial Aid Office: or call 708.534.4480

Career Services Office: or call 708.235.3974

Access Services for Students with Disabilities Office: or call 708.235.3968

To find your Academic Advisor, please see the listing on the Academic Advising webpage.