Partner School Programs

Some partner schools offer programs in English that GSU students can participate in.  

If you are interested in studying at one of our International University Partners, please contact the  OIS office for more information.    

 China:                      Hangzhou Normal University (HNU)

                               South China Normal University (SCNU)

                                  Yiwu Industrial & Commercial College
Japan:                        Kansai University
 of International Studies

                                  Nagasaki University of Foreign Studies
Thailand:                   Burapha University

Turkey:                      Near East University

Czech Republic:        University of Ostrava

Brazil:                        Universidade de Santa Cruz do Sul (UNISC) 

(Partner school students applying to be exchange students at GSU)

Students wishing to participate in the exchange program must submit both academic and immigration documents. Required academic documents include:

  • Official exchange application. The application will be provided to you once you have been formally nominated by your university.

  • Official university transcripts. This may include yearly transcripts, marksheets, exam results, final diplomas, degrees or graduate certificates. Please be sure to include all pages of your transcripts.

  • If your official transcripts are not originally issued in English, you must submit an official word-for-word English translation. The translation must be issued by your university or a translation agency. If the translation is issued by a translation agency, the translation must be typed on official stationery, with the name, phone number, and address of the translator. The translator must attest proficiency in the original language and must indicate that the translations are true and correct. Photo/notarized copies will not be accepted.

  • Proof of English language competency.

  • This can be demonstrated by providing proof of a minimum TOEFL score of 68 for undergraduate level and 80 for graduate level (internet-based test; some sections have various minimums), an IELTS score of 6.0 or higher. If you have taken a test other than the TOEFL or IELTS and would like to know if it can be considered as proof of English competency, please contact your exchange coordinator at your home university.

The English language competency requirement is waived for students who study in a country where English is an officially recognized language. Required immigration documents include:

  • Copy of your passport identification page.

  • Bank statement that is not older than 6 months old that shows proof of funding for $1,200 for each month of study at GSU. Please refer to the academic calendar for the dates of the terms and be sure to round up when calculating the number of months that you will be studying.

  • The overall balance of the bank account must be shown somewhere on the official bank statement. It can also be stated in an official letter from the bank, which must be on bank letterhead and officially signed.

  • All bank statements must clearly state the name of the account owner, the amount of money available, the currency, and the date when the document was issued.

  • The funds in the bank account must be available for immediate withdraw. Promissory notes, employer statements of estimated earnings, pension funds, and long-term investment accounts may not be used.

  • If the bank statement is not issued in English, you must submit a word-for-word translation of all documents or submit the Translator's Affidavit (which will be in the official exchange application). The Translator's Affidavit must be completed by someone other than the student or the account holder listed on the bank statement.

  • Please ensure that the account holder's name, the account number, the ending balance on the bank statement exactly matches what is listed on the Translator's Affidavit.

  • If the bank account holder is someone other than yourself, you must submit an Affidavit of Support (which will be in the official exchange application) with the original bank statement. Please be sure that the Affidavit of Support includes both your name (the student's), your relationship to the sponsor, and the sponsor's information.

  • Proof of immunizations are also required for all students. Please see the section on immunizations below for more information about what is required and how to submit your documentation. All required documents must be submitted by the posted deadlines.


Exchange students will be emailed information on how to access GSU’s student portal MyGSU. MyGSU is where students access course enrollment information, important dates, grades, etc. throughout their study at GSU. It is best to log-in to MyGSU as soon as you are able in order to explore all of the resources available to you through this portal.

You can search course descriptions through the University Catalog. You can search for course availability through MyGSU by clicking “Students-Registration-Search for Sections” and selecting the term in which you will be enrolled.


All Exchange students must apply for a J-1 visa.

In order to apply for a J-1 visa, a student must be issued a DS-2019 Form, which is requested by GSU. All requirements for the DS-2019 is submitted with the Exchange Application. To review those requirements, please visit the "How to Apply" section on this webpage.

You will receive your DS-2019 form with your official admission packet.


We recommend Exchange students to live on-campus at GSU. It is best to apply for housing well in advance in order to ensure availability. You can find more information and search for housing options available to you on GSU’s Housing website.


Exchange students will participate in the same International Student Orientation as all newly arriving international students. Please note: International students are given access to move in to GSU’s on-campus housing before the International Student Orientation begins. In order to be eligible to move-in on this date, you must be apply for early arrival.


As a J1 Exchange Student, you are required to provide proof of health insurance.

Program participants and their dependents are required to have medical insurance coverage with the following minimum benefits:

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness.

  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000.

  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000.

  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.

Health insurance is a way to insure yourself against the very expensive costs associated with illness and injury minus any policy exclusions.


GSU complies with the Illinois Department of Health, which requires all students to submit proof of immunization for a number of diseases. We recommend you submit your immunization records PRIOR to arriving to GSU. Please note: The Office of International Services is not able to determine whether your immunizations meet the requirements. You must submit your immunizations through GSU’s immunization website in order to determine what you need. Learn about how to submit your immunization records to GSU here.

For any questions regarding GSU’s Student Exchange Program, please contact


University of Ostrava Exchange Program

The University of Ostrava serves over 8,500 students within six Colleges: Arts, Fine Arts and Music, Education, Medicine, Social Studies and Science. Their campus also hosts 300 international students each year primarily from Europe through the Erasmus+ program. 

Institutional Fact Sheet 
Course Offerings

Language: Language of instruction for international students is primarily English, although limited courses are available in other European languages (see course catalog).

Admissions: Exchange Students are assigned to a College based upon their course selection. Each student must complete an application in which they submit a copy of their passport, transcript and Statement of Purpose. For application instructions, please contact GSU Office of International Services at

Cost of Living: Students ought to have between 250-500USD per month. Typical expenses: movie ticket is about $8, a beer is $2, lunch at restaurant starts at $6, coffee at café $3, haircut $6-$15, a 3-month public transit pass is about $60. Finally, all students must pay some university fees.

Accommodations: All students are registered in the university Jan Opletal Hall of Residence. Cost is about 150USD per month. Accommodation is also available in private dorms or by private let with prices ranging from 200USD/month to 500USD/month. The price typically includes energy and services. 

Meals: Subsidized student meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) are available at the two restaurants within the Kampus Palace building in the center of Ostrava: Black Kale - Raw&Vegan or Guest Restaurant. Meals are ordered with the University Student ID card and must be charged with adequate funds. Subsidized lunches are available at the macrobiotic restaurant Slunečnice. Meals cost between $3-$6.

Visa Information: The Czech Foreign Ministry suggests a Long-Term Visa for stays more than 90 days and less than one year (i.e. an exchange student). Visa requests require an Acceptance Letter and Proof of Accommodation which we send to student upon completing the application. It is student‘s responsibility to consult with the Czech Embassy on your visa options. Please note, the long-term visa process can take more than 2 months.

International Student Club: The international student club is known as the Erasmus Student Network (ESN Ostravská). The club is operated by student volunteers and is open to all international students. Each semester they organize events and outings for international students. Most importantly, all international students receive a “buddy” to help them transition to life at the university and city. International Club Website:

Other Programs

Click here to see more of the other types of study abroad programs that are available to GSU students.

Learn More