On December 11, 2020, Governors State University College of Business Faculty and Staff approved the Strategy 2025 Strategic Plan Goals and Objectives. The College of Business Strategic Management Committee regularly reviews the plan, action items, milestones, responsible individuals, and key performance indicator (KPI's).
Mission, Vision, Values
The AACSB-accredited College of Business provides an accessible, high quality education to a diverse student body primarily from the Chicago metropolitan area. We actively engage in research and service, which impact the business and academic community and society. We empower our students with the knowledge, skills and ethical perspectives needed to succeed in a technologically sophisticated global society.
The College of Business will be recognized as a school of choice in the region for high quality talent in the fields of business and economic development.
Excellence: committed to excellence in teaching, research and service, we serve the division, the college, the university, the community and the profession.
Continuous Improvement:: combining our talents and perspectives to generate original ideas, we depart from conventional views to pursue new approaches, concepts, and visions to advance our teaching, research, services and administrative processes.
Diversity: practicing diversity we encourage wide ranging perspectives, promote open dialogue and model respectful interaction.
Accountability: demonstrating individual accountability and shared responsibility, we practice fair, honest, open and transparent interactions while using resources effectively and efficiently.
Goal 1 - Academic Excellence
Goal 1: Academic Excellence: Provide quality, current and relevant, academic programs
- 1.1. Ensure that academic programs are up to date, relevant, and aligned with professional and discipline standards.
- 1.2. Maintain or develop academic programs that respond to regional, state, national, and international trends, employment needs and student interests.
- 1.3. Ensure College of Business programs incorporate global awareness and cross- cultural competence as appropriate.
Goal 2 - Student Success
Goal 2: Student Success: Provide equitable pathways to graduation which leads to academic, personal, and career success
- 2.1. Provide equitable support to students to deal with challenges navigating the college experience.
- 2.2. Develop and promote opportunities for engagement and career success for all COB students.
Goal 3 - High Quality Faculty and Staff
Goal 3: High Quality Faculty and Staff: Create a learning environment where highly qualified and diversified faculty and staff are hired and retained.
- 3.1. Maintain processes to hire faculty with qualifications that meet program needs and accreditation requirements.
- 3.2. Retain high quality faculty through effective evaluation, active engagement, and professional development; and recognize faculty for exceptional work.
- 3.3. Support the College’s commitment to scholarship and faculty research activities.
- 3.4 Hire, develop, and retain high quality staff that meet program needs and reward exceptional work.
Goal 4 - Enrollment Management
Goal 4: Enrollment Management: Implement a strategic enrollment plan consistent with university mission.
- 4.1. Increase the number of the academic year graduate program applications by 5- 10% over a 5-year period.
- 4.2. Increase fall enrollments by 10% over a 5-year period including new and returning graduate students.
- 4.3. Achieve 70-75% undergraduate retention and 75-80% graduate retention (within the college) over a 5-year period.
Goal 5 - Invest in Excellence
Goal 5: Invest in Excellence: Enhance and diversify revenue streams, serve as a destination for social, cultural, and continuing education, and be an economic catalyst for the region.
- 5.1. Establish the COB as a Thought Leader on relevant issues affecting businesses in the region.
- 5.2. Enhance COB’s identity as a center for excellence in academic knowledge, research and collaboration and cultural enhancement.
- 5.3. Deepen relationships with businesses and the community in support of students and academic programs.
- 5.4. Increase total individual donations to COB Excellence Fund by 5% over five years.
- 5.5. Enhance grants activities.
- 5.6. Generate at least $100,000 revenue from individual and corporate training, business consulting, and incubating services in the five-year period.
Goal 6 - Social, Ethical, and Environmental Responsibility
Goal 6: Social, Ethical, and Environmental Responsibility: Institutional actions and decisions demonstrate a commitment to social, ethical, and environmental responsibility.
- 6.1. Support student diversity, inclusion, and equity through internal and external partnerships.
- 6.2. Connect with organizations to incorporate environmentally sustainable initiatives in communities and the College of Business.
- 5.3. Engage with academic and professional organizations on issues that address social, ethical, or environmental matters.
Goal 7 - Strong Cyber Presence
Goal 7: Strong Cyber Presence: Support the people, tools, and environment that are needed to succeed in today’s digital world.
- 7.1. Develop expertise in the development and delivery of online education.
- 7.2. Promote online presence on different social and professional platforms.
- 7.3. Utilize an information storing and sharing system for college strategic management and committee work.
Goal 8 - Continuous Improvement
Goal 8: Continuous Improvement: : Institutional processes for continuous improvement are guided by evidence-based decision-making to achieve the mission of the university.
- 8.1. Strengthen organizational structures and improve governance and strategic plan processes.