Students who wish to receive credit at an institution outside of GSU must receive course approval.

Course Approval Form (CAF)

Download and print a copy of the Course Approval Form which needs to be completed for any exchange or direct enroll programs.

Credit Transfer & Grade/Credit Conversion

Prior to being accepted into a study abroad program, students will need to work with their academic advisor and the appropriate College Dean for study abroad course approvals. A student’s credit will come back as transfer credit (pass/fail basis and does NOT count toward your GSU GPA).

When a student contacts or meets with someone for course approval, they are instructed to have relevant course descriptions from the host university.

Host University Transcript Processing

Official foreign transcripts from the host university must be sent directly to the Office of International Services (OIS) and can take up to four months after the program end date, depending on the host university academic calendar and processing. Once OIS has received the official foreign transcript from the host university, they will send it to the registrar to be then evaluated for course, grade, and credit conversions. If any courses on the transcript do not have approved course equivalencies, the student must seek additional approval(s).

Please send transcripts to the following address:

Office of International Services – Attn: Rene Gosch

Governors State University

1 University Parkway, GMT165

University Park, IL 60484