Governors State University’s Art Program offers a limited number of Film Arts sequence scholarships to talented GSU students as well as to incoming first-year and transfer students.
Students can earn between $3,000 - $6,000 per year.
- Incoming Freshman Award: $12,000 - $24,000 (Renewable up to 4 years)
- Incoming Transfer or Continuing Student Award: $6,000 - $12,000 (Renewable up to 2 years)
1. Apply to GSU as first-year or transfer student.
2. Submit the following items in a single, complete packet as a digital attachment (not a shared file or link) to CreativeArts@govst.edu. In the subject line, please include the name of the scholarship and your last name.
a. A statement identifying reasons for interest in studying Film Arts and why the support will be beneficial.
One or more of the following:
b. Filmmakers - A link to sample prior production work in Film Arts on YouTube or Vimeo along with the following details:
- Title of work
- Year completed
- Total length of sample
- Identify the section of the sample that should be reviewed (10 minutes maximum)
- Identify your role in the production work (e.g., writer, director, editor, cinematographer, etc.)
c. Screenwriters - Submit a PDF writing sample, preferably in screenplay format. Your uploaded PDF should be no larger than 10MB.
Deadline: March 15th
Application and Renewal Guidelines
To receive and maintain this scholarship, a student must enroll in and complete a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester that include appropriate courses for the Film Arts concentration. Renewal subject to availability of funds. Additionally, the student must:
a. Apply and be accepted to GSU.
b. Must satisfy AIM High criteria. Learn more.
c. Declare a major in Art with a concentration in Film Arts.
d. Maintain a minimum 3.0 overall grade point average.
e. Complete and pass an annual portfolio review of Art course work.
f. Compliance with all university codes of conduct.
Deadline: November 1st
Hear from Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) student Alex Pavloski on how the Film Arts Scholarship is helping her achieve her academic and professional goals.
For more specific information on any of our Creative Talent Scholarships, reach out to us at CreativeArts@govst.edu or call us at 708-534-4010.
More ways you can save on tuition