The Creative Writing Scholarship is for talented, emerging writers who are interested in pursuing the interdisciplinary Creative Writing minor which includes writing courses in English, Media Studies, Theater and Performance Studies, and Film.
Students can earn between $500 - $1,000 per year.
- Incoming Freshman Award: $2,000 - $4,000 (Renewable up to 4 years)
- Incoming Transfer or Continuing Student Award: $1,000 - $2,000 (Renewable up to 2 years)
1. Apply to GSU as a first-year or a transfer student.
2. Submit the following items in a single, complete packet as a digital attachment (not a shared file or link) to CreativeArts@govst.edu. In the subject line, please include the name of the scholarship and your last name.
a. Artist statement describing your writing sample and future writing goals.
b. Writing sample, which may include any of these:
- 10 pages of poetry
- 2 complete short works (fiction, non-fiction, drama)
- Excerpt from long work such as a novel, graphic novel, or screenplay
Priority review begins on March 15th - Deadline: May 1st
Application and Renewal Guidelines
To receive and maintain this scholarship, a student must enroll in and complete a minimum of one course per year leading to a minor in Creative Writing. Renewal subject to availability of funds. Additionally, the student must:
a. Apply and be accepted to GSU.
b. Must satisfy AIM High criteria. Learn more.
c. Declare a minor in Creative Writing.
d. Maintain a minimum 3.0 overall grade point average in Creative Writing courses.
e. Maintain a minimum 2.0 overall grade point average in all GSU courses.
f. Compliance with all university codes of conduct.
Deadline: November 1st
"When I received GSU’s Creative Arts Scholarship in Creative Writing, I was thrilled. This scholarship reduced the financial load on me and my family as I pursue my educational and professional goals. It allowed me to explore different writing styles, genres, and mediums—making me a better writer and opening up opportunities for my future career. Even if you’re not an English major like me, learning how to better communicate through writing can serve you in any profession. I’ve always dreamed of being a writer; with the support of this scholarship, that dream will soon become a reality."
– Courtney Keller, English Student
For more specific information on any of our Creative Talent Scholarships, reach out to us at CreativeArts@govst.edu or call us at 708-534-4010.
More ways you can save on tuition