Student Senate at Governors State University
The Student Senate represents YOU on campus. The Senate advocates for policies that benefit every student and supports more than 60 clubs and organizations that can play a big role in your college experience. Members are active on standing Governors State University committees, offering their voice on students’ behalf to the administration and the board of trustees.
The mission of the Student Senate is to promote the general welfare of GSU
students. This is accomplished through the representation of student concerns,
viewpoints and interests regarding governance issues to the administration,
staff and faculty.
Through this work, the Student
Senate will strive to improve the quality of the academic and co-curricular
experience at GSU and provide developmental opportunities for its members.
GSU Student Senate
Anyone interested in serving on the Student Senate please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The diversity of our leadership team will bring an array of inspiration and initiative to new student programming and/or the college-wide changes implemented by the Student Senate.
2023 - 2024 Student Senate Election Results
We encourage all GSU students to engage with the Student Senate by keeping us informed of any concerns you have. Meetings are open to the public and all students are encouraged to attend.
For more information about Student Senate or to reach a senator, please send a message to email@example.com.
2023 - 2024 Student Senate Elections
STUDENT SENATE ELECTIONS
Are you interested in serving on the GSU Student Senate during the 2023-24 academic year? Scan the QR code below to apply.
ELECTION TIMELINE: AY2023-2024
- Tuesday, January 31 --- Election Petition Form available for candidate submissions via Jaguar Connection, http://www.govst.edu/jaguarconnection/.
- Thursday, February 9 -- Candidate Meeting (optional) to learn more about the elected positions and the steps required to make it on the ballot.
- Wednesday, February 22 -- Candidate Meeting (optional) to learn more about the elected positions and the steps required to make it on the ballot.
- Tuesday, February 28 --- Completed, candidate petitions, 250 word essay and transcript must be submitted via Jaguar Connection website by 5 p.m.
- Monday - Friday, March 20 thru March 24 ---Campaign Week – candidates create campaign materials and actively campaign.
- Thursday, March 23 -- Meet the Candidates -- Candidates will be provided a space on campus to give students a short synopsis of their campaign platform and to engage votes.
- Monday, March 27 – Friday, March 31 --- Elections held on Jaguar Connection portal www.govst.edu/jaguarconnection. No paper forms accepted.
- Tuesday, April 4 --- Election Report received from Jaguar Connection with unofficial results posted on the Student Senate website and on the Jaguar Connection portal.
- Wednesday, April 5 --- Deadline for filing written appeals is 5pm (Director, Center for Student Engagement & Intercultural Programs – Room A2104).
- Thursday, April 6 --- Appeals reviewed and certification of results completed with official results posted on the Student Senate website.
- Friday, April 14 --- Student Senate Leadership Conference.
- Friday, April 28 --- Swearing-in ceremony new student Senators.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Student Senate Meetings
Student Senate is the premiere campus
organization that represents and serves the student body. Becoming a
member of Student Senate allows you to help GSU reach higher heights in providing the collegiate experience every student deserves through
your leadership. Now more than ever, your leadership is needed during
this unprecedented time to serve as advocates for the student body and to create change.
Join us for our monthly meetings held from 1pm - 2pm. Locations are indicated below:
February 1 Location: Engbretson Hall
March 7 Location: F1622
April 4 Location: Engbretson Hall