Our volunteer ushers are valued members of the Center for Performing Arts. They assist with Mainstage productions, Arts in Education and Rental events.
CPA Ushers Are Expected to:
- Arrive at least one hour prior to the performance to allow time to sign-in, receive assignments, and pertinent information about the day's performance. Some performances require an earlier arrival time.
- Dress in a professional manner. Black & White formal attire, ideally.
- Have a flashlight and a name badge.
- Stuff programs with inserts.
- Usher, take and scan tickets, greet and direct patrons.
- Watch for patrons entering the house with prohibited drink, food or electronics.
- Watch the house for disruptive behavior or emergencies and notify house management.
- Remain at their assigned location. Close their assigned door(s) when house lights go down, open their assigned door(s) when house lights go up.
- Pick up programs, tickets, and inserts from floor after the performance.
- Check for lost items and give them to house management.
- Assist disabled patrons with accessible seating.
- Volunteer for a minimum of one Arts in Education show per season and one four-hour shift of a Dance Competition per season.
Questions? Contact Patron Services Manager Jane Cox at
708.235.2811 or at email@example.com.
For all performance events, we need a minimum of five
ushers. The Usher Call Time is between 60-90 minutes prior to curtain.
Dance competitions have different and more specific ushering needs, and
if you are willing to work for any of those income producing rental
events please contact Jane at 708.235.2811 in advance to
confirm your participation and hours.
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities for 2019-20
|TAPS DRAMA: The Laramie Project||Fri., Nov. 1 at 8 p.m.||Usher call time: 7 p.m.|
|TAPS DRAMA: The Laramie Project||Sat., Nov. 2 at 8 p.m.||Usher call time: 7 p.m.|
|TAPS DRAMA: The Laramie Project||Sun., Nov. 3 at 2 p.m.||Usher call time: 1 p.m.|
|AIE FIELD TRIP: Rosie Revere Engineer & Friends||Mon., Nov. 4 at 9:45 a.m. and 12 noon||Usher call time: 8:45 a.m.|
|Jungle Book||Sun., Nov., 10 at 2 p.m.||Usher call: 1 p.m.|
|AIE FIELD TRIP: David Gonzalez: The Boy Who Could Sing Pictures||Tues., Nov. 12 at 9:45 a.m.||Usher call: 8:45 a.m.|
|CROWNS: The Gospel Musical||Sat., Nov. 16 at 8 p.m.||Usher call: 7 p.m.|
|CROWNS: The Gospel Musical||Sun., Nov. 17 at 4 p.m. ||Usher call: 3 p.m.|
|RENTAL: District 163 Concert ||Wed., Nov. 27 at 7 p.m.||Usher call: 6 p.m.|
|Salt Creek Ballet - THE NUTCRACKER||Sat., Dec. 7 at 1 p.m. & 5 p.m.||Usher call: 11:30 a.m. & 3:30 p.m.|
|RENTAL: Matteson School Concert ||Mon., Dec. 9 at 7 p.m.||Usher call: 6 p.m.|
|RENTAL: Indiana School Concert ||Tues., Dec. 10 at 7 p.m.||Usher call: 6 p.m.|
|RENTAL: O.W. Huth School Concert||Wed., Dec. 11 at 7 p.m.||Usher call: 6 p.m.|
|RENTAL: Sauk School Concert ||Thurs., Dec. 12 at 7 p.m.||Usher call: 6 p.m.|
|RENTAL: District 162 Concert||Tues., Dec. 17 at 7 p.m.||Usher call: 6 p.m.|
|RENTAL: Southland College Prep Concert ||Thurs., Dec. 19 at 7 p..m.||Usher call: 6 p.m.|
|RENTAL: Shen Yun||Thurs., March 5 at 2 p.m.||Usher call time: 12:30P|
|RENTAL: Shen Yun||Fri., March 6 at 7:30 p.m.||Usher call time: 6P|
|RENTAL: Shen Yun||Sat., March 7 at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.||Usher call times: 12:30P & 6P|
|RENTAL: Shen Yun||Sun., March 8 at 1 p.m.||Usher call time: 11:30A|
|AIE FIELD TRIP: Chicago Shakespeare Theater's The Comedy of Errors||Tues., March 10 at 10:30 a.m.||Usher call time: 9:30A|
|DANCE COMPETITION WEEKEND: Bravo||March 13-15||Usher(s) required in four hour shifts|
|TAPS DRAMA: Picnic||Fri., March 27 at 8 p.m.||Usher call time: 7P|
|TAPS DRAMA: Picnic||Sat., March 28 at 8 p.m.||Usher call time: 7P|
|TAPS DRAMA: Picnic||Sun., March 29 at 2 p.m.||Usher call time: 1P|
|AIE FIELD TRIP: Wizard of Oz ||Wed., April 1 at 9:45 a.m. and 12 noon||Usher call time: 8:45 a.m.|
|Chicago Jazz Philharmonic: Legends and Lions||Sat., April 4 at 8 p.m.||Usher call time: 6 p.m.|
|RENTAL: Southland College Prep Concert||Thurs., April 9 at 7 p.m.||Usher call time: 6 p.m.|
|DANCE COMPETITION WEEKEND: Star Systems||April 17-19||Usher(s) required in four hour shifts|
|AIE FIELD TRIP: Anne Frank||Thurs., April 23 at 9:45 a.m.||Usher call time: 8:45 a.m.|
|AIE FIELD TRIP: Hear My Voice||Thurs., April 23 at 12 noon||Usher call time: 11 a.m.|
|VIVA MOMIX||Sat., April 25 at 8 p.m.||Usher call time: 7 p.m.|
|DANCE COMPETITION WEEKEND: NexStar||May 1-3||Usher(s) required in four hour shifts|
|DANCE COMPETITION WEEKEND: Revolution||May 8-10||Usher(s) required in hour hour shifts|
|DANCE RECITAL: Creative Dance||Sun., May 17 at TBA||Usher call TBD|
|DANCE COMPETITION WEEKEND: Starquest||May 21-24||Usher(s) required in four hours shifts|
|RENTAL: District 162 Concert||Wed., May 27 at 7 p.m.||Usher call time: 6 p.m.|