What could be more important in life than the ability to communicate? To speak and to be understood. For a variety of reasons -- disease, disability,injury or age -- some people find communication a constant struggle. That's where you, the speech language pathologist, come in, bringing communication therapies to a wide range of speech-language-hearing disorders. GSU's Department of Communication Disorders offers outstanding Communication Disorders programs at both the undergraduate and graduate level. Best of all, you can complete your program part-time, so you can still work and live your life.

COVID19 Information for Dept. of CDIS 

The Stroke Support Group at Governors State University invites stroke survivors to attend summer meetings.

The group will provide helpful resources, communication/social participation practice, or just a listening ear. There is no cost. Family members/caregivers are welcome.

For more information, please contact Jessica Bonner, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, Department of Communication Disorders at Governors State University at 708.534.4591 or jbonner@govst.edu

4:00 – 5:30 P.M.

 Stroke Support Group Information Flyer

The Master of Health Science (MHS) in

Communication Disorders: Your Entry-Level Degree

The entry level degree you must obtain to become a Speech Language Pathologist is the Master of Health Science in Communication Disorders.

Admission is competitive — and for good reason. Our Master's program provides thorough preparation for entry into the field and meets the academic requirements for the profession's national certification, as well as Illinois' professional and public school licensure. 

See linked page for How to Apply  — MHS in Communication Disorders:

The Bachelor of Health Science (BHS) in Communication Disorders:

Your Pre-Professional Preparation

Because the entry-level degree for Speech-Language-Pathologists is the Master of Health Science degree,  you will receive everything you need to enter the MHS program through the Bachelor of Health Science degree.

Consider This:  The BHS as Your Second Bachelor's Degree

The Bachelor of Health Science in Communication Disorders is the required undergraduate degree for entry into the MHS in Communication Disorders program.  But what if your bachelor's is in another discipline? Explore the BHS in Communication Disorders as a second bachelor's degree.

Department of Communication Disorders Long-Term Strategic Plan

The Department of Communication Disorders has developed a seven-year strategic plan for Fiscal Years 2015 through 2021 that is congruent with the university's strategic plan and priorities. The program's current strategic plan is available at the link below.

  CDIS Strategic Plan 2015-2021

CDIS News and Events :

 CDIS would like to congratulate the FIRST recipients of the CDIS Lowe-Hildebrand-Lubinsky (LHL) Scholarship - Jassmin Dhillon and Carolina Serrato.  

 Students Bio's and Comments

The LHL Scholarship was created in honor of the founding members of the MHS in Communication Disorders Department - John Lowe III, Susanne Hildebrand, and Jay Lubinsky.  The LHL Scholarship is a legacy tribute in their honor that is used to provide financial assistance to CDIS students.  

To make a TaxDeductible Gift ).