A message from the Chair, Ning Lu, PhD, MPH, Department of Health Administration:
Welcome to the Department of Health Administration (HLAD) at Governors State University (GSU), College of Health and Human Services (CHHS). If you are a friend or alum of HLAD welcome back! If you are a student just beginning to learn about our Department, I invite you to explore our website, to familiarize yourself with our programs and to meet our outstanding faculty. Since our founding as the Department of Health Administration and graduated our first class of 22 MHS students in 1987, our programs have expanded to include four programs. We have been dedicated to advancing the healthcare services through education and promotion of sound health management and leadership.
HLAD offers four educational programs, including master’s degree in Health Administration (MHA), master’s degree in Health Informatics (MSHI), bachelor’s degree in Health Administration (BHA), and Bachelor’s degree in Health Informatics (BSHI). Our MHA program is accredited by Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME) and our BHA program is certified by Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA). If you are interested in pursuing degrees at GSU, I hope you will take a close look at our programs.
In addition, our outstanding faculty are actively pursuing research activities and students in HLAD are actively involved in many extracurricular activities such as Student Health Care Management Association, Health Administration Honor Society -- Upsilon Phi Delta, the annual meeting of American College of Healthcare Executives, National Association of Health Services Executives (NAHSE) case competition, and community services. We are dedicated to improving health in our community through education, community services and internship activities in Chicagoland.
I hope I have given you a sense of many opportunities to become involved with our programs at GSU. Please do not hesitate to reach out with additional questions or ideas. I want to extend my gratitude to those of you who have supported and continue to support our Department. Thank you!
- Dr. Ning Lu, email@example.com, 708.534.4916
Department of Health Administration
Named in the Top 50 Most Innovative
University Healthcare Administration Departments
as reported by the website, www.topmastersinhealthcare.com
"It's wonderful for the academic excellence and talent of our Health Administration Department
to be recognized. The faculty works very hard to ensure that our students have everything they
need to become leaders in this ever-changing healthcare environment."
Elizabeth A. Cada, ED>D., OTR/L, FAOTA,
Provost at GSU.
HLAD Top 50
Attributes that led to this honor include:
- A Master of Health Administration (MHA) program accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME). CAHME's rigorous review establishes the highest standard of excellence among MHA programs;
- A high student employment rate following graduation. Ninety-one percent of GSU's MHA graduates are employed within three months of graduation;
- Faculty members highly engaged in research in their field;
- A variety of educational programs, in addition to the MHA, such as a fully AUPHA-certified Bachelor of Health Administration (BHA) program and several certificate programs;
- A well established student association (Student Healthcare Management Association - SHCMA), providing mentoring and professional development opportunities;
- An active honor society (upsilon Phi Delta Honor Society);
- A diverse student population, traditionally underserved by the higher education community; and
- GSU has the lowest undergraduate tuition and fees of any public university in Illinois.
BHA Fact Sheet
BSHI Fact Sheet
MSHI Fact Sheet
MHA Fact Sheet