GSU is once again sponsoring STEAM camps this summer for middle and high school students, ages 11 to 16. Camps are held on two different weeks, and students may register for one or both sessions. Camp fees are $200 per child, per week.
STEAM Camp Week 1 runs July 17 to 21, 2017, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. SESSION FULL STEAM Camp Week 2 runs July 24 to 28, 2017, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. SESSION FULL
Do you need additional activities from 3 to 5 p.m. Monday to Thursday on camp days? STEAM Camp Plus is an additional program for campers that need to stay for a full day. It will run Monday to Thursday, 3 to 5 p.m. with an additional cost of $60 per week.
Morning sessions: science and technology activities; biology, chemistry, computer programming, and robotics
Afternoon sessions: arts activities; improvisation, pottery, and sculpture
- Students will be responsible for providing their own lunch, drinks and snacks or money to purchase lunch in the GSU cafeteria.
- Both camps will have a maximum number of thirty students.
- Middle and high school students may register for one or both STEAM camps.
- In order to be officially registered for the camp(s), the completed registration form(s), permission slip, photo release form, and appropriate payment must all be received by or before the registration deadline of Friday, July 7, 2017. Please see registration form at the bottom of the page.
A limited number of partial scholarships for Governors State University’s Summer 2017 STEAM Camp are awarded on a first-come, first-served, need-basis. Parents/ guardians and prospective campers may apply for scholarships for one or both weeks. Parents or guardians will be responsible for the remaining $50 per camper, per session camp fee ($100 if attending both sessions).
Scholarship awards are limited by supporting contributions and camp capacity. Please note that scholarships DO NOT include the cost of the optional STEAM Camp Plus, transportation to/ from camp, meals, snacks or incidental expenses.
Completed scholarship applications are due Friday, June 16, 2017.
Scholarship recipients will be notified by July 5, 2017 via email.
Please download and complete the STEAM Camp Scholarship Application.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who will teach the STEAM workshops? Camp workshops will be taught by GSU science faculty, graduate students, pre-service teachers currently enrolled in a GSU teacher preparation program, and volunteer instructors from local science and technology companies.
- Where will workshops take place? Most workshops will take place in one of the newly built science labs at Governors State University. Some activities must take place outside, on GSU's campus as open space is required for the activity.
- What safety measure will be in place? Safety is of foremost concern. A safety video will be required viewing by all participants on the first day of camp. All participants must wear long pants and closed-toed shoes each day. Safety glasses and gloves will be provided to all participants as needed. Safety concerns and procedures for all labs will be fully explained before each lab.
- Will the schedule be strictly followed? No, it is only a tentative schedule. There is one activity that must take place outside. That activity will be planned according to the weather forecast.
- How will participants be chosen? Participants meeting all requirements will be chosen on a first-come, first-served basis.
- meet the proper age requirements (ages 11 to 16)
- have the application and supporting documents fully completed and signed by a parent or legal guardian
- include the camp fee, image release, permission slip, and complete registration information
- Are there any minimum grade requirements or specific math / science course prerequisites? No. The goal of the STEAM camp is to explore and increase interest in STEAM fields. We want the camp to be fun.
- Registration Information If paying online via debit or credit card, please complete and submit the registration form online, print the registration form, pay, complete the physical signature portion and submit. If paying by check, or cash, please complete the registration form online, submit, print the registration form, complete the physical signature portion and submit. Registration forms may be submitted via information below.
Registration is not complete until parents or legal guardians complete and submit required forms and payment, and provide required physical signatures. Please maintain a completed copy of this form for your records. Registration must be completed and received by Friday, July 7, 2017.
For additional information, please contact: Luke Helm, email@example.com, 708.534.4088.
Looking for a STEAM Camp for younger kids? Please see Prairie State College's STEAM Camp.