Library Resources for COMS300 & COMS500
For assistance contact:
Dr. Michel Nguessan
Visit the library web site at http://www.govst.edu/library for general information about the library. Also visit the Communications Program.
Your Library ID Number and Registration P.I.N are essential to accessing databases & full text from home and renewing library books online. Your Library ID Number contains 14 digits starting with 21611000 + your 6-digit GSU Student ID Number. Go to http://www.govst.edu/library/ID/ for details.
- Scholarly Journals
- Professional or Trade Journals
- Popular Magazines
- Free Web Articles
Differences in Print Journals
Evaluating Information found on the Free Web
These titles are subscriptions maintained by the library. To determine which database might contain an article full-text, go to the Full-text Journals List. Access the databases below at http://www.govst.edu/library/acs/.
- Academic Lexis-Nexis - Legal, business, and reference information.
- ProQuest – General interest index with full text to several journals.
- Academic Search Complete (EBSCO) General interest index with full text to several journals.
- Business Source Premier - Business topics, including human performance and training.
- Communication & Mass Media Complete - Communication & Mass Media Complete provides the most robust, quality research solution in areas related to communication and mass media.
- ERIC (FirstSearch) Indexes education journal articles and non-journal documents.
- Medline (FirstSearch) Abstracted and full text articles from the medical literature.
- ProQuestPsychology Journals -Provides access to full-text retrieval of articles in almost 300 journals.
- PsycArticles- Find full text articles on current issues in psychology and related fields from respected sources, spanning from 1988 to present. Includes more that 25,000 full text articles from 42 journals published by the American Psychological Association and allied organizations.
Web Sites suggested by Professor Mike Purdy – click here
Other helpful sites
Access the GSU Catalog from the library’s home page at http://www.govst.edu/library. Scroll down the page and click on the GSU Library Catalog link. Search the catalog to find books & other materials in the GSU library and other academic libraries in Illinois. The titles of journals owned by GSU are identified with a title search.
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- A Dictionary of Communication and Media Studies. REF.P87.5 .W382000
- International Encyclopedia of Communications. REF.P87.5 .I51989
- Key Concepts in Communication and Cultural Studies. REF.P90 .K4571994
- Dictionary of Communications and Media Studies. REF.P87.5 .W382000
- Broadcasting & Cable Yearbook. REF.HF6146.R3 B734X
- Gale Directory of Publications and Broadcast Media. REF.Z6951 .A978X
- Encyclopedia of Associations. (behind reference desk)
- Plunkett's Entertainment & Media Industry Almanac REF.P88.8.P57
- Careers in Communications and Entertainment. REF.P 91.5 .M7 2000
- Creating Your Career in Communications and Entertainment .P91.6.M63x 1998
- Great Jobs for Communications Majors. P91.6 .C363
- Occupational Outlook Handbook. (behind reference desk)
APA Style - links to citing a journal article or a web site. Writing a Research Paper provides links to the GSU Online Writing Center, as well as numerous online writing tools.
For further assistance with your research for COM300 & 500, contact me at 534-4137 or firstname.lastname@example.org.