School of Interdisciplinary Learning
Subject Area Librarian
Journal Articles & Databases for Interdisciplinary Learning
The following indexes are recommended for Interdisciplinary Learning students. To access these databases go to the Journals & Databases A-Z list.
To locate scholarly, peer-reviewed Journals:
EBSCO Databases: Under “Refine Search”, click on “Scholarly (Peer Reviewed) Journals”.
- Academic Search Complete – To focus on Interdisciplinary Studies, use the subject “Interdisciplinary Approach in Education” + your key words.
- ERIC – Use the subject “interdisciplinary approach”
- ProQuest Research Library – Next to “Limit results to”, select “scholarly journals”.
Keyword and Subject Term Ideas:
Try: Interdisciplinary Research, Interdisciplinary Approach, Interdisciplinary Education, Interdisciplinary, Cross disciplinary, integrate- (-ed, -ive) studies/curriculum, Liberal Arts, general studies
To locate newspaper articles:
- Chicago Tribune
- Newspaper Source
- Chronicle of Higher Education
Strategy to locate and access copies of articles:
- Conduct a literature search in the recommended indexes (above)
- Many indexes include full-text articles in PDF, TXT, and HTML formats. Use the icon to for links to other options.
- If you have a citation (Journal name, article title, year, volume number, etc) use the Full Text Journals List to locate content.
- Double check the GSU Library Catalog to locate journals in print and microfilm formats, if not found in the Full Text Journals List.
- 5. Interlibrary Loan photocopies are free to GSU faculty, staff, students. Request online under “Online Request Forms”.
Book Reviews, Media Directories and Book Identification Tools:
Syllabi Research Tools
- Quintura http://www.quintura.com/ Type in “syllabi” or “syllabus” and the subject. Example: “syllabi hospitality” finds syllabi from hospitality and management courses.
- College Source (Library Journals/Databases list) College Source is a library of college and university catalogs from across the United States. Use College Source to identify specific courses and other General Studies and Interdisciplinary Studies programs.
- Google http://www.google.com To find college and university web pages, click on “Advanced Search”, then scroll to the bottom of the page. OR go to http://www.google.com/options/universities.html .
Writing a Research Paper