Governors State University iMail users have a responsibility to use the service in an efficient, ethical, and legal manner. Users are expected to abide by the following rules, which are intended to preserve the utility and flexibility of the e-mail system, protect the work of students, and preserve the right to access network resources.
- As an active GSU student, who is eligible to register for classes, or as an alumni donor, you are issued an iMail account to access e-mail through an Internet connection. Your username and password allow access to your account. You may not share this account with any other person for any reason. It is your responsibility to protect your account from unauthorized use. The university reserves the right to access your account to the extent necessary to investigate security breaches or other infractions of use.
- Identify yourself clearly and accurately in e-mail communication. Concealing or misrepresenting your name or affiliation to mask irresponsible or offensive behavior is a serious abuse. Using identifiers of other individuals as your own constitutes fraud.
- Accept limitations or restrictions on network resources, such as storage space, time limits, or amount of resources consumed, when required by the system administrator. Your use of system resources is to be consistent with the instructional, research, and administrative goals of the university.
- Accept responsibility for your own work by learning appropriate uses of e-mail to maintain the integrity of what you create. Effort is made to keep private the contents of what you create, store, and send to others. However, the university does not guarantee the security of electronic files.
- You are expected to refrain from engaging in deliberate wasteful practices, such as e-mail chain letters.
- Use of e-mail to harass, offend, or annoy other users is forbidden. Obscene, defamatory, or any other material that violates university policy on discrimination will not be tolerated.
- Any attempt to circumvent system security, guess others' passwords, or in any way gain unauthorized access to network resources is forbidden.
Access to and utilization of GSU's resources is a privilege, not a right; access can be withdrawn or curtailed forthwith and without notice if there is reason to believe that the user has or may have violated this policy or applicable laws.
All users, as a condition of their access to or utilization of GSU network resources, must agree to the above stated rules. Use of your iMail implies agreement and acceptance of the rules.
An active student is a degree-seeking student who has not sat out more than three consecutive trimesters.
Alumni who donate $100 or more annually qualify for free Internet access and free iMail.