Governors State University’s English Language Learning Center is designed to serve the needs of international and domestic students that have an interest in improving their English language skills to further their academic success. The curriculum is designed and taught by professional faculty to prepare students academically, socially, and culturally for success as university students.

Apply Now

The English Language Learning Center offers English as a Second Language for those interested in improving their English Language skills for personal, professional, and academic purposes. Course offerings include: Listening and Speaking, Reading and Vocabulary, Writing and Grammar, Multimodal Composing, Pronunciation, Cross Cultural Contexts and TOEFL test preparation. We offer beginning to advanced levels, and students can begin the courses in the Fall, Spring or Summer semesters.

Governors State University's English Language Learning Center is a member of:

English USA

  • English Language Proficiency Policy


    International students may wish to attend a full-time Graduate Program at Governors State University. In order to do so, English proficiency must demonstrated through completion of the ESL Program or through submission of IELTS, PTE, or TOEFL scores. Please contact for more information about the English proficiency minimum score requirements.

  • Obtaining a Student Visa


    Once you have applied to the English Language Learning Center using the links at the top of the page, you can begin the process of obtaining your student visa.

    To obtain your visa, you must first submit the following items to our office:

    • A copy of the first page of your government issued passport

    • A copy of a bank statement that indicates the equivalent of $26,000USD (This is one year tuition and living     expenses that we need to see to issue I-20 document for F-1 student visa). This bank statement must not be dated     later than 6 months from the time of the application.

    • If the bank statement is in another person’s name, such as a parent’s name, then you must also submit an Affidavit     of Support.


    The documents can be emailed to

    Once these items are sent to our office, we will create an I20 for you to use to obtain your student visa. You can find more information and instructions about the student visa process here at our Office of International Services website.

  • Transfering SEVIS


    Some students may already have a student visa, and would like to transfer their SEVIS information over to Governors State University. For more information about transferring your SEVIS, please see this page on our Office of International Services website.

  • Pre-Arrival Information


    If you travel to attend our English Language Learning Center courses and are in need of transportation from the airport to our school upon your arrival, then please submit the airport arrival form to notify us and we will arrange a pick-up for you.

  • Housing


    If you are in need of housing during your attendance to our program, we offer living arrangements through our University Housing page.

    If you do not wish to live in University Housing, but are still in need of lodging options, then please contact our Office of International Services at for assistance.