Faculty Blackboard Tutorials
Course Rubric Category Descriptions
Working with Respondus
GSU has licensed "Respondus," a software program that allows you to easily
create new quizzes or surveys or upload your existing tests to Blackboard 9.1
Respondus offers a way to:
- easily create a new quiz for your Blackboard course
- upload an existing on-campus quiz (in text format) to Blackboard
- create many question types, plus question feedback
- spell check your entire exam
- download a quiz from one online course and upload it to another course
- download publisher test banks
- use word processing commands to format your quiz
- embed graphics in your quiz
- use mathematical and scientific symbols
- create random sets of questions
First, download the GSU Campus version of Respondus: Download: Respondus 4.0.5
(This 11.3 mb file is zipped. You will have to download it, then extract the content by right-clicking on the file name.)
Obtaining the password:
- Email Joy Bensiger (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Barbara Mandel (email@example.com) to obtain the current password for the Campus Version of Respondus 4.
- Click the Respondus link above to download the file to your computer.
- When installation is complete, you will need to enter the following information:
The Institution name: Governors State University
Local Contact Person: Joy Bensiger or Barbara Mandel
The password: fill in the password you obtained by email.
When the program opens, you will be prompted to select a Personality. Select Blackboard 7x - 9x from the drop down list.
Your Server Settings withing Respondus should look like this :
#1. You will put the Blackboard server url. i.e, "bb9.govst.edu"
#2. Here you will copy and paste the course url (after you click on your course link)
#3. Click on the "Extract>>" button. This will generate the information for you (as shown).
Description: type a brief description, so that you don't have to enter the settings when you revisit next time.
Enter the username and Password.
Note: If you use a public computer DO NOT check the box that says, "Remember the username and Password....."
View the following tutorials to install Respondus and create exams.
Working with Wimba
GSU subscribes to"Wimba Live Classroom". Faculty may use it in conjunction with
their Blackboard courses to hold synchronous discussions with their students.
Working with Clickers
Working with LiveText Portfolio
Several GSU's courses require students to create an e-Portfolio using "LiveText".
The "Center for Online Teaching and Learning" has created several tutorials that
concentrate on "how to" use the software features to help faculty and students
develop a portfolio in LiveText.
General Teaching Resources
The Center for Teaching and Online Learninghas reviewed and compiled a list of
software you can use to accent your course with images, audio, and multimedia
"Audacity" is a free audio recording and editing software application when combined
with "LAME" provides you with the ability to create MP3 files suitable for podcasting.
The links below will help youwith the simple installation process.
Note: Audacity provides excellent documention and tutorials you may want to review.
Library Resources and RSS
The Library resource web page provide links to web resources compiled
bytheir information specialists. The site alsoprovides the liaison librarian
contact information for each subject area.
RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. Instead of clicking through all your
favorite sites everyday, you can use RSS to "create your own newspaper" out of
the latest headlines on topics that interest you.