A Bachelor of Arts in Psychology study plan is used to give students a clear picture of what they will need to complete while they are here at GSU. Students should schedule an appointment with their advisor, Maya Blackwell, within their first semester at GSU.
INITIAL ADVISING SESSION
During this meeting, we will review all of your prior coursework to determine what degree requirements you have remaining. We will discuss the following:
- Students are allowed to transfer a maximum of 75 lower division hours to GSU (effective Fall 2012, 80 lower division hours are allowed)
- Students must complete a minimum of 24 hours at GSU
- Students must complete required General Education coursework
- Students must complete required Psychology coursework
- Students must meet minimum total credit hour requirements (120 hours)
It is also helpful to begin to think about what you are interested in doing once you complete your Bachelor of Arts degree. Are you interested in graduate school? Are you interested in working in Social Service/Mental Health related fields? Your long-term goal will help us determine possible minors, concentrations, certificates, that you may be interested in completing. Study Plans for minors, concentrations, and certificates should be completed as soon as you decide to pursue them. This allows you to know what the requirements are.
CONTINUING STUDENT ADVISING SESSIONS
Students should then meet with me again one semester before graduation. This will allow us to verify that everything is in place for graduation.
During this meeting, we will:
- Update your study plan
- Verify what you need to complete for graduation
- Go over paperwork (application/progress report) required for graduation
Students are welcome to meet with me more frequently to assist with:
- Changes to the study plan
- Questions about possible courses taken off campus
- Applying course work taken at another institution after enrollment at GSU*.
*Note: University policy requires that you obtain permission to take courses outside of GSU after you have been admitted. Please talk with me before you enroll in outside courses.