Ph.D. Mathematics Education, 1979 – Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
M.Ed. Elementary Education, 1972 – State University of New York, Buffalo, New York
B.S. Secondary Education, 1969 – Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, Taiwan
- Conducted inservices and after-school workshops addressing the topics listed below for Cottage Grove Upper Grade Center and Medgar Evers School in Ford Heights, IL. (AY2009 – 2010):
- - Word Problems for Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division
- - Multiplication & Division of Whole Numbers
- - Concepts of Decimals
- - Attributes of 3-D Figures
- - Concepts of Area & Volume
- - Metric Measurement (1-D, 2-D, 3-D)
- - Mean, Median, & Mode
- - Motions of Geometry
- - Concepts of Integers & Absolute Value
- - Operations of Integers
- - Solving One & Two Variable Algebraic Equations
- - Volumes & Surface Areas of Prisms, Pyramids, Cones, & Cylinders
- - Ratios, Proportions, Percents, and Discounts
- Conducted an inservice, Implementation of a Spiral Mathematics Curriculum, at Columbia Middle School in Steger, IL. (October 30, 2009)
- Conducted an inservice focused on aligning a balanced mathematics curriculum with Illinois State Mathematics Goals at Columbia Middle School in Steger, IL. (August 25, 2009)
- Conducted inservices and after-school workshops addressing the topics listed below for Cottage Grove Upper Grade Center and Medgar Evers School in Ford Heights, IL. (AY2008 – 2009):
- - Relational Understanding vs. Instrumental Understanding
- - Strategies for Teaching Times Table
- - Addition and Subtraction of Whole Numbers
- - Strategies for Teaching Time
- - Methods of Teaching Money
- - Concepts and Strategies of Teaching Probability
- - Teaching Line of Symmetry
- - Three Models for Teaching Fractions
- - Teaching Multiplication and Division of Fractions
- - Teaching Percentage and Discount
- - Strategies for Teaching Areas of Triangles
- - Parallelograms, Trapezoids, and Circles
- - Strategies and Resources for Teaching Coordinate Geometry
- Teaching Circumferenc
- Incorporating Extended Responses/Problem Solving into Daily Lesson Plans presentation given at Schrum Middle School in Calumet City, IL. (July 8, 2008)
- Served as a speaker on the teachers’ institute day for Ford Heights School District #169 to address topics such as Teaching Number Sense, Equity Principle, Mathematics Anxiety, The Roles of Teachers, and mathematics curriculum guides based on Illinois State Mathematics Goals #6-10.
- Conducted three separate workshops for teachers of pre-K and grade 1, grades 2-4, and grades 5-8 of Ford Heights School District #169 to address the development and implementation of a monthly mathematics spiral curriculum based on district curriculum guides.
- Conducted a summer institute workshop for grades 6-8 teaching staff of Matteson School District #162. Topics covered were balanced teaching/learning activities, circumference and area of circles and related dimensions, formulas for finding areas of polygons and circles, metric measurements (linear, weight, and capacity), and teaching algebraic expressions and equations. (June 23, 2006)
- Conducted a whole day inservice for North Berwyn School District #98 in Berwyn, IL. The inservice consisted of three separate sessions: grades K-2, grades 3-5, and grades 6-8 plus special education teachers. Topics addressed were effective classroom management, guided discovery lessons, balanced mathematics curriculum, teaching problem solving and extended responses, early number concepts, concepts of fractions, teaching geometry, and strategies for slow learners. (March 21, 2006)
- Conducted a whole day inservice focusing on teaching fractions, ratios, percents, and proportions for the teachers of Huth Middle School in Matteson, IL. (January 11, 2006)
- Conducted a workshop for grades 5-8 teachers and special education teachers of Matteson School District #162. Topics addressed practical strategies for classroom management, integrating homework, strategies for managing the block schedule in mathematics, using assessment as a tool for school improvement, and mathematics improvement strategies for special education teachers. (November 30, 2005)
- Conducted several workshops for School Districts #156 and #157 in Calumet City, IL. Topics addressed were Teaching Algebra and Data Analysis (February 25, 2005), Teaching Probability (February 18, 2005), Incorporating Mathematics Standards and the ISAT into Teaching Geometry (January 28 and February 4, 2005)
- Conducted a workshop, Teaching Estimation, for teachers of Longfellow Elementary School in Gary, IN. (November 30, 2004)
- Conducted numerous workshops and inservices for teachers at Longfellow, Crisson, and Hosford Park Schools in Gary, IN. Topics addressed were Teaching Problem Solving and Critical Thinking, Teaching Number Sense, Teaching Measurement, A Balanced Mathematics Curriculum, The Use of Manipulatives in Math Classrooms, Teaching Conceptual Understanding, Appropriate Strategies for Teaching Mathematics to Underprivileged Children and Children with Special Needs, Incorporating Mathematics Standards in Daily Mathematics Instruction, Integrating Writing with Mathematics Problem Solving. (January 15, 2003 – May 5, 2004)
- Conducted an inservice focusing on how to incorporate mathematics standards and the ISAT into daily lesson plans for grades 3-8 teachers of Burnham School in Burnham, IL. (November 14, 2003)
- Conducted a whole day inservice focusing on problem solving strategies for grades K-8 teachers of Glenwood School District #167. (November 7, 2003)
- Conducted an inservice focusing on how to incorporate mathematics standards and the ISAT into daily lesson plans for teachers of Lincoln School District #156 in Calumet City, IL. (October 10, 2003)
- Conducted a workshop, Teaching Problem Solving and Critical Thinking, for teachers of Hoover Schrum Memorial School District #157 in Calumet City, IL. (September 26, 2003)
- Conducted a workshop, Incorporating Mathematics Standards and the ISAT in Daily Lesson Plans, for teachers of Hoover Schrum Memorial School District #157 in Calumet City, IL. (September 19, 2003)
- Conducted two workshops addressing mathematics teaching strategies for low-achieving students for the special education faculty of Cicero School District #99. (April 29, 2003)
- Conducted a whole-day inservice for Tinley Park School District #146 with two separate sessions, one for K-2 teachers and one for grades 3-5 teachers. Topics were The Use of Calculators in the Mathematics Classroom and Strategies for Teaching Geometry. (January 7, 2002)
- Conducted a half-day district-wide inservice for grades K-5 teachers of Tinley Park School District #146 focusing on Teaching Estimation and Number Sense. (October 19, 2001)
- Conducted two workshops for Cicero School District #99: one for K-3 teachers and one for grades 4-8 teachers. The workshops addressed mathematics teaching strategies for slow learners, the implications of the ISAT, and a balanced mathematics curriculum. (October 5, 2001)
- Conducted two half-day workshops for Tinley Park School District #146. Topics included Teaching Problem Solving and Critical Thinking, A Spiral Mathematics Curriculum Calendar, The Appropriate Use of Mathematics Manipulatives, Mathematics Scope and Sequence Pertaining to Newly Adapted Mathematics Textbooks, and Mathematics Task Analysis. (August 9-10, 2001).
- Conducted a half-day inservice for the Federation of Districts for Special Education in Berwyn. The inservice focused on the appropriate strategies used for teaching mathematics to elementary and high school special education students. (March 30, 2001)
- Conducted a whole-day inservice on Teachers’ Institute Day for Rockdale School District #84. The topics included A Balanced Mathematics Curriculum, ISAT, Teaching Problem Solving, The Use of Manipulatives in Math Classrooms, and Teaching Conceptual Understanding. (March 2, 2001)
- Presented four mathematics staff development sessions to two Chicago public schools, Dunne Elementary School and Anderson Junior High School. (March and April of 1999)
- Graph-a-lot workshop presented for the Teachers’ Institute Day sponsored by the Illinois Department of Corrections School District #428. (March 24, 1999)
- Presented more than thirty workshops on various mathematics education topics to the teachers of St. Elizabeth School in Chicago. (Academic Years 1995-1998)
- Conducted several three-hour workshops for the Illinois Department of Corrections School District #428 at the Illinois Youth Center at Joliet. Mathematics teachers from both upstate and downstate participated. Topics included Teaching Work Problems, Teaching Critical Thinking and Number Sense, Teaching Basic Geometric Concepts, Teaching Decimals with Manipulatives, Planes and Solids, Provisions for Slow Learners, Questioning Techniques, Teaching for Thinking Responses, Processes and Strategies of Problem Solving, and A Balanced Mathematics Curriculum. (1997)
- On-site visits and individual building inservices for each of four northern Illinois Youth Center institutions: Warrenville, Valley View, St. Charles, and Joliet. Topics included Assessing Pupils’ Prerequisites, Teaching Concepts of Fractions, Teaching Multiplication, and Integer Concepts and Operations. (May 1, 8, and 16, 1997)
- Making Learning of Fractions Enjoyable and Sensible workshop presented to the Illinois Department of Corrections School District #428. (April 1996)
- Illinois Goal Assessment Program workshop presented to the junior high teachers of Ford Heights School District #169. (February 7, 1996)
- Guidelines for Selecting Mathematics Textbooks workshop presented to the Mathematics Committee of Maywood School District #89. (November 29, 1995)
- Resources and Strategies for Teaching Geometry workshop presented to the junior high teachers of Maywood School District #89. (October 13, 1995)
- Teaching Number Sense and Critical Thinking workshop presented to the teachers of Blue Island School District #130. (February 1, 1995)
- Implications of IGAP and a Balanced Mathematics Curriculum workshop presented to the teachers of Walker Intermediate School in Frankfurt, IL. (January 18, 1995)
- IGAP Preparation in Mathematics workshop presented to the teachers of Maywood School District #89. (January 11, 1995)
- Mathematics Education for the ‘90s presentation for the Teachers’ Institute Day on Maywood School District #89. (August 29, 1994)
- The Use of Calculators in Mathematics Classrooms workshop presented to the teachers of Sandwich Community School District #430. (January 14, 1994)
- Calculator Problems for Your Mathematics Classes presentation given at the Eleventh Conference on the Improvement of Mathematics Teaching at the Purdue University Calumet in Indiana. (September 19, 1992)
- Making Word Problems Sensible presentation at the Twelfth Conference on the Improvement of Mathematics at the Purdue University Calumet in Indiana. (September 18, 1992)
- Teaching Strategies in Mathematics to Support IGAP presentation given to the teachers of Ford Heights School District #169. (October 23, 1992)
- Using Manipulatives and Developing Problem Solving Abilities workshop presented to the teachers of Plainfield Community Consolidated School District #202. (March 20, 1992)
- Teaching Problem Solving and Critical Thinking workshop presented to the teachers of Homer Community Consolidated School District #33C in Lockport, IL. (1992)
- NCTM Curriculum and Evaluation Standards – What, Why, and How Math Is and Should Be Taught? workshop presented to the teachers of Homer Community Consolidated School District #33C in Lockport, IL. (October 15, 1991)
- Presented nine inservice sessions to the teachers of Plainfield Community Consolidated School District #202. Sessions focused on the resources and strategies for teaching in the following areas: probability and statistics; algebra and geometry; number concepts and mental estimations; and fractions and measurement. (February to May 1991)
- Math Test-Taking Skills presentation given to the Ford Heights School District #169. (October 12, 1990)
- The Implications of NCTM Curriculum and Evaluation Standards presentation given to the teachers of Homer Community Consolidated School District #33C in Lockport, IL. (October 9, 1990)
- Using Base-Ten Blocks to Teach Multiplication and Division of Whole Numbers workshop presented to teachers of Homer School District #33C in Lockport, IL. (January 18, 1990)
- Assessing Mathematics Achievement," Best Practice in Special Education Assessment. (1985) Governors State University: University Park, IL
- "Concrete Approaches for Teaching Addition and Subtraction of Integers," Journal of NCTM: The Arithmetic Teacher, 9 (4), pp 14-20.
- "Who are Mathematically Gifted?" The Exceptional Child, 3, pp 231-235 (1984).
- "Making Learning of Fractions Sensible and Enjoyable," The Illinois Mathematics Teacher, 34, pp 18-28 (1983).
- "Multiplication and Division of Integers: Using Concrete Approaches," The Illinois Mathematics Teacher, 33, pp 21-26 (1982).
- "Inservice Education and Its Relation to Higher Education," Demonstration Quarterly, Winter, pp86-89 (1982).
- A School-Centered Mathematics Teacher Development Model for the Teachers of At-Risk Student
- Women and Mathematics Anxiety
- The Effects of Parental Socialization Upon Child’s Attitude Toward Mathematics and Achievement in Mathematics
- A Study of Needs for Further Learning in Mathematics as Seen by Elementary School Teachers
- The Effects of Calculator-Assisted Instruction on the Mathematics Achievement and Attitudes of the Seventh and Eighth Grade Student
- Coordinated or continuing to coordinate the M.A. in Mathematics Education Program and to assist in the interviewing/hiring of mathematics education adjunct faculty for the Curriculum and Instruction Program and Special Education Program cohorts.
- Served or continuing to serve as a Mathematics Education graduate project chair/reader and graduate comprehensive exam evaluator.
- Served or continuing to serve on the following committees throughout my tenure
- - BOG Director Search Committee
- - NCATE Standards Committee
- - DOE Personnel Committee
- - DOE Student Professional Standards Committee
- - MA Education Faculty Committee
- Coordinator of the Elementary Education Lab II school site in South Chicago Heights (AY2003 – 2004)
- Coordinator of the Elementary Education Lab II school site in Tinley Park (AY2001 – 2003)
- Coordinator of the Elementary Education Lab II school site in Alsip (AY2000 – 2001)
- Coordinated design and implementation of mathematics staff leadership program and assisted in the training of grade-level math leaders for Ford Heights School District #169. (2009-present)
- Assisted teachers of Ford Heights School District #169 in compiling grade-level resource file aligned with IL State Math Goals consisting of manipulatives, activity books, etc. (July 2008)
- Founded annual teacher excellence award endowment program for Ford Heights School District #169. (2007)
- Participated in the Ford Heights School District #169 school retreat. (June 7, 2007)
- Served as a mathematics education staff development facilitator for the Thornton Education Cooperative in Lansing, IL. (2002 – 2006)
- Served as a faculty campus representative for the Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics (2002 – 2003)
- Involved in Project 2005, sponsored by the Chicago Annenberg Challenge and the National Science Foundation (1998 – 2001)
- - developed/compiled workshop materials and conducted workshops for the teacher inservices of three Chicago Public Schools: Dunne Elementary, Mount Vernon Elementary, and the Anderson Community Academy
- - served as a faculty mentor for the University Faculty Mentor Program
- - modified two existing GSU graduate mathematics education courses to meet the Project 2005 objectives and the needs of the participating teachers in addition to maintaining the original course competencies
- - developed and administered needs assessment and other assessment instruments for use in mathematics education to collect data for future research
- Served as a frequent speaker for the youth group of the Taiwanese Community Church in Lombard (1998 – 2008)
- Presented issues and strategies for teaching geometry to K-8 teachers of the Archdiocese schools in the southwest suburbs. (2002)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- Association of Taiwanese Professors
- Nominated for inclusion in Outstanding Americans in June 1998.
- Nominated by a class for the Student Faculty Choice Award, 1998.
- Nominated and included in Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers (5th Edition), 1998.
- Nominated for the GSU Faculty Choice Award, 1997 and 1998.
- Received Professional Advancement Increase Award, 1997.
- Nominated and included in Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers (4th Edition), 1996.
- Faculty Excellence Award, Governors State University, 1994.