- Ph.D., Political Science, University of California at Berkeley, 1974
- M.A., Political Science, University of California at Berkeley, 1964
- B.A., Boston University, 1963
- “Organized Labor and Resource Allocation in Venezuela,” paper presented in Meeting of Northeastern Political Science Association, Philadelphia, PA., November 1983.
- “The Past and Future of Venezuelan Politics”. World Affairs Council, Bronxville, New York, December 1982.
- “Peru, The Banks and the ‘Decisional Latitude’ of Developing Countries,” paper presented at Meeting of Latin American Studies Association, Washington, D.C., March 1982.
- “The Banks, The IMF, and Developing Countries,” paper presented to Interdisciplinary Seminar on Latin America, Columbia University, February 1981.
- “Enlargement of the European Economic Community and the Mediterranean,” paper presented at Meeting of the Council of European Studies, Washington, D.C., October 1980.
- “Israel and the EEC,” paper presented at the David Horowitz Institute for Research on Developing Countries, Tel Aviv University, August 21, 1980.
- “The Venezuelan Labor Movement and the Venezuelan Political Process.” Venezuela: The Democratic Experience, Ed., John Martz and David Myers, New York, Praeger, 1977.
- “Los sindicatos venezolanos y democracia,” Venezuela: La Experiencia Democratica, Ed., John Martz and David Myers, Caracas: Ed. Tauro, February 1997.
- Discussant, “A Round Table Discussion between American University Professors and Hon. Carlos Andres Perez, President of Venezuela, “June 30, 1977, New York City.
- Chairperson, “Europe, Africa and the Lome Convention,” Council of European Studies, Conference on the European Communities and the Third World, Princeton, NJ, December 1976.
- Commentator and Member, Council of Foreign Relations Study Group on Venezuela, 1975-1977.
- “Venezuelan Labor: Revolutionary or Reformist?” Lecture delivered at U.S. Military Academy, West Point, NY, February, 1975.
- “Whither Venezuelan Labor?” paper presented to Meeting of Latin American Studies Association, November 1974, San Francisco, CA.
- “International Politics in the 1970s: The Search for a Perspective.” (With Donald J. Puchala) International Organization. Vol.28, No.2 (Spring 1974), pages 247-266.
- Central American Economic Integration: The Politics of Unequal Benefits, University of California, Institute of International Studies, 1970.
- Rockefeller Foundation Grant, 1975-1976
- Ford Foundation Foreign Area fellow, 1966-1968
- Latin American Fellow, University of California at Berkeley, Institute of International Studies, 1964-1965
- Woodrow Wilson Fellow, 1963-1964
- Warren Scholarship, Boston University, 1962-1963
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1962
- Member, Advisory Committee, National Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission, 2004-present
- Member, Steering Committee, Illinois Education Advocacy Organization (Established to form Advance Illinois, a Gates Foundation initiative), 2007-2008.
- Member, The Times (IN) Editorial Advisory Board, 2005-2007
- Member, Commission on School Leader Preparation in Illinois Colleges and Universities, Illinois Board of Higher Education, 2005-2006
- Chair, Coordinating Council, Illinois Public University Presidents/Chancellors, 2004-2006
- Chair, South Metropolitan Higher Education Consortium, 2004-2006
- Member, Board of Directors, Illinois Philharmonic Orchestra, 2000-2007