- D.B.A., Transportation Management (major) and Labor Relations (minor), Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, 1979
- M.B.A., Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, 1977
- B.A., French and Germanic Languages, Indiana University, 1975
*All authors in co-authored pieces made equal contributions unless otherwise noted.
- "Diversity Interventions and Organizational Performance: A Synthesis of Current Literature," with Janice L. Dreachslin, Ph.D., Human Resource Development Review volume 7, issue 1, (March 2008), pp. 107-134. (Lead Author)
- "Diversity and Cultural Competence Training in Healthcare Organizations: Hallmarks of Success," with Janice L. Dreachslin, Ph.D. and Marie Sinioris, MPH, The Health Care Manager volume 26, issue 3 (July-September 2007), pp. 255-262. (Lead Author)
- "Factors Affecting the Career Advancement of Women and Racially/Ethnically Diverse Individuals in Healthcare Management," with Janice L. Dreachslin, Journal of Health Administration Education, volume 21, issue 4 (Fall 2004), pp. 441-484.
- "Should the Airline Industry Market Safety?" with Clare Comm, Journal of Professional Services Marketing, vol. 8, no. 2. 1993, pp. 207-214.
- "Negative Impacts of Leveraged Buyouts on the Domestic Airline Industry," Transportation Quarterly, vol. 44, no. 4. (October, 1990), pp. 517-532.
- "Roger Boisjoly and the Challenger Disaster: The Ethical Dimensions," with Russell P. Boisjoly and Eugene Mellican, Journal of Business Ethics, vol. 18, no. 4, (April, 1989), pp. 217-230.
- [Reprinted in Ethical Theory and Business, edited by Tom Beauchamp and Norman E. Bowie, fifth edition, Prentice-Hall, 1997.]
- [Reprinted in Case Problems in Management and Organizational Behavior, by Randall Schuler, fourth edition, West Publishing Co., 1991, pp. 377-384.]
- [Reprinted in Business Ethics in Canada, by Deborah C. Poff and Wil Waluchow, second edition, Prentice-Hall Publishers, 1991.]
- "Transportation Labor Relations: Contemporary Developments, Challenges, and Strategies," with Michael R. Crum, Transportation Quarterly, vol. 42, no. 3, (July, 1988), pp. 359-375. (Lead author)
- "Quality Circles in Transportation: The Milwaukee Road Experience," Transportation Journal, , vol. 23, no. 3, (Spring, 1984), pp. 63-69.
- "Section 13(c) Reconsidered: Is Federal Labor Protection Still Necessary for Mass Transit?" Labor Law Journal, vol. 33, no. 9, (September, 1982), pp. 622-630.
- "Institution-Building and European Mass Transit: Myths and Realities," Transportation Journal, vol. 20, no. 3, (Spring, 1981), pp. 23-36.
- "Nontechnical Innovations in European Mass Transit," Transit Journal, vol. 6, no. 3, (Summer, 1980), pp. 49-61.
- "The Emergence and Institutionalization of Strategic Organizational Adaptation at the Subunit Level," with Harvey Kahalas, Stuart Freedman, and Kathleen Suchon, Proceedings of the Eastern Academy of Management, Baltimore, MD, May, 1992.
- "Airline Service and Safety: An Exploratory Consumer Perspective," with Clare Comm, Proceedings of the 1991 Annual Meeting of the Decision Sciences Institute, Bal Harbour, FL, November 24-27, 1991.
- "Airline Safety: Public Policy and Marketing Issues," with Clare Comm and Dennis Mathaisel, Proceedings of the 1990 Annual Meeting of the Decision Sciences Institute, San Diego, CA, November 19-21,1990.
- "Transportation Labor Relations in the Deregulated Environment: Recent Developments and Implications," with Michael R. Crum. Proceedings of the 1987 Annual National Conference of HRMOB, Philadelphia, PA, October 31-November 4, 1987, vol. I, pp.136-140.
- "Roger Boisjoly and the Challenger Disaster: A Case Study in Engineering Management, Corporate Loyalty, and Ethics," with Russell P. Boisjoly, Proceedings of the Eighth Annual Meeting of the American Society For Engineering Management, St. Louis, MO, October 11-13, 1987, pp. 6-14.
- [Reprinted in American Society and Engineering Management Newsletter, January, 1988, pp. 8-15.]
Parts of Books
- "Creating an Online M.B.A. Program," (with Veronica Godshalk). In Rethinking Management Education for the 21st Century, edited by Charles Wankel and Robert DeFillippi, Information Age Publishing, 2002.
- "Roger Boisjoly and the Challenger Disaster: A Case Study in Management Practice, Corporate Loyalty, and Business Ethics," with Russell P. Boisjoly. In Business Ethics: Readings and Cases in Corporate Morality, edited by W. Michael Hoffman and Jennifer Mills Moore, second edition, McGraw-Hill Publishers, 1990, pp. 397-404.
- [Reprinted in Writing and Reading Across the Curriculum, by Laurence Behrens and Leonard J. Rosen, fourth edition, Harper Collins, 1990, pp.566-574]
Essentials for Success in Transit, with Harry Ross, published by the Bureau of Business Research, Graduate School of Business, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, 1979
- "Issues for Discussion on U. S. Airline Terminals." Invited Paper for INTRA Annual Conference on Transport Terminals and Interchanges, Paris, France, May 4-6, 1987.
- "Management of Transport Operations: New Approaches and Social Relations--Some Reflections." Invited discussion paper in "Account of INTRA Seminar, Jouy-en-Josas, France, and September 11-13, 1985."
- Abstract published as "CBA Professor Examines Mass Transit Legislation," The Business Report from Northeastern, vol. 1, no. 2, March, 1982, p.3.
Research Reports to Sponsors
- "Study of Factors Affecting the Career Advancement of Women and Racially/Ethnically Diverse Individuals in Healthcare Management," final report of contract research submitted to the National Center for Healthcare Leadership, June 2003, Janice L. Dreachslin, Principal Investigator and Ellen Foster Curtis, Co-Investigator.
Manuscripts in Progress
- "Business Implications of the Stockholm Syndrome," a literature-review-based paper currently in draft form.
- "Narcissistic Leadership: Stockholm Syndrome and the Captive Organization," a conceptual paper currently in draft form.
- Joseph P. Healey Endowment Research Grant, UMass Lowell, 1994, $2,500 (support for sabbatical research).
- Research Award, College of Management, UMass Lowell, 1988-1993, course load reduction each year (one-sixth of salary).
- Faculty Research Grant, College of Business Administration, Northeastern University, 1982-1984, course load reduction each year (one-seventh of salary).
- 1907 Grant, Indiana University, 1978, $3,000 (support for dissertation research).
- Indiana University Fellowship, 1976-78
- Beta Gamma Sigma, 1977, Indiana University
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1973, Indiana University
*Solo presenter unless otherwise noted.
- "Diversity Leadership Development and Organizational Performance: Designing Effective Interventions," with Janice L. Dreachslin, Ph.D., and Marie Sinioris, MPH. A refereed oral presentation at the American Public Health Association annual meeting in Boston, Massachusetts, November 7, 2006. (Lead Author. Presentation made by coauthor, Janice L. Dreachslin.)
- "Study of Factors Affecting the Career Advancement of Women and Racially/Ethnically Diverse Individuals in Healthcare Management," with Janice L. Dreachslin, Ph.D., an invited luncheon plenary presentation sponsored by the National Center for Healthcare Leadership (NCHL) at the American Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA) Annual Meeting in Nashville, Tennessee, June 26-29, 2003. (Co- Investigator. Presentation made by Principal Investigator Janice L. Dreachslin)
"Rethinking Management Education for the 21st Century: Institutional Responses to the Challenges of Technology, Globalization and Relevance," with Veronica M. Godshalk, Ph.D. Presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., and August 6, 2001. (Co-presenter)
- "Airline Safety: Public Policy and Marketing Issues," with Clare Comm and Dennis Mathaisel. Presented at the 1990 Decision Sciences Institute Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, November 19, 1990. (Co-presenter)
- "Roger Boisjoly and the Challenger Disaster: A Case Study in Management Practice, Corporate Loyalty and Business Ethics." Academy of Management 1988 Annual Meeting, Anaheim, CA, August 8, 1988. Invited symposium with Roger Boisjoly, Russell Boisjoly, Jeanne Liedtke, Eugene Mellican, and Martin Moser. (Co-presenter)
- "Case Teaching, Case Writing, Case Grading: Pitfalls, Paradoxes, and Potentials." Eastern Academy of Management Silver Anniversary Program, Arlington, VA, May 13, 1988. Invited symposium with Stuart Freedman, Martin Moser, John Seeger, and Rudolph Winston. (Co-presenter)
- "Roger Boisjoly and the Challenger Disaster: A Case Study in Management Practice, Corporate Loyalty, and Business Ethics." Eastern Academy of Management Silver Anniversary Program, Arlington, VA, May 13, 1988. Invited symposium with Roger Boisjoly, Russell Boisjoly, and Eugene Mellican. (Co-presenter)
- "Transportation Labor Relations in the Deregulated Environment: Recent Developments and Implications." Presented at the 1987 Annual National Conference of the Association for Human Resources Management and Organizational Behavior (HRMOB), Philadelphia, PA, November 2, 1987.
- "Roger Boisjoly and the Challenger Disaster: A Case Study in Engineering Management, Corporate Loyalty, and Ethics," with Russell P. Boisjoly. Presented at the Eighth Annual Meeting of the American Society for Engineering Management, St. Louis, MO, and October 12, 1987. (Co-presenter)
- "Employee Involvement in Transportation: Strategic Edge or Management Fad?" Invited presentation for INTRA (International Transportation Group) Annual Seminar on Management of Transportation Operations, Paris, France, and September 11, 1985. (Abstract Published in Proceedings).
- "Implications of Employee Involvement Programs in the Major U. S. Airlines." Invited presentation at the INTRA First Regional Conference, Wellesley, MA, and May 2, 1985.
- "Quality Circles in Transportation: The Milwaukee Road Experience." Presented at the National Meetings of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, and January 18, 1984.
- "Section 13(c) Reconsidered: Is Federal Labor Protection Still Necessary for Mass Transit?" Presented at the National Meetings of the Transportation Research Forum, San Francisco, CA, and November 4, 1981.
Selected Research-Related Advisory/Consulting Activities
- At-Large Director, Board of Directors, Tufts Associated Health Maintenance Organization, Inc., the third largest managed health care company in Massachusetts, 1990-1995. Member of Member Relations Subcommittee and Risk Modification Task Force. Arbitrated disputes between members and the HMO on reimbursement, and developed new risk management agreement between the HMO and the participating physicians.
- Public Relations Consultant, Lowell Regional Transit Authority, 1993. Advised executives on route and service marketing.
- Director, 1988-1991 Northeast Business and Economics Association.
Speaking Engagements and Other Professional Association Activities
- Session Chair, “Conflict and Negotiation I”, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA., August 2007.
- Session Chair, “Successful Negotiation Tactics?” Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA., August 2007.
- Session Chair, “New Research in Entrepreneurship,” Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Denver, CO, August 2002.
- Session Chair, “Competing in the Automotive Industry." 1994 Conference on U. S. Competitiveness in the Global Marketplace. The American Society for Competitiveness, Boston, MA, October 21, 1994.
- Invited Participant, Indiana University International Business Forum, "The Global Challenges of the 1990's," Indianapolis, IN, October 16-20, 1991.
- Panel Discussant, Northeast Business and Economics Association, Lowell, MA, November 6, 1986, session on Labor Markets.
- Conducted Seminar, Strategic Management Techniques for MBTA operating managers, May 14, 1983. Session on “Environments of the Mass Transit Industry and Transit Managers.”
- Conducted Seminar, Strategic Management Techniques for top 25 managers of MBTA, November 19-20, December 3-4, 1982. Session on “Environments of the Mass Transit Industry and Transit Managers.”
- Conducted Short Course in Logistics for the New England Roundtable of the National Council of Physical Distribution Managers, March 19, 1981.
- Keynote Address, "Regulatory Reform in Transportation: Implications for New England Shippers." Symposium on Cost Effective Modes for Cargo Transportation at the University of New Hampshire, November 20, 1980.
- Manuscript Reviewer, Conflict Management Division, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Anaheim, California, August 2008.
- Manuscript Reviewer, Management Education Division, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Anaheim, California, August 2008.
- Manuscript Reviewer, Conflict Management Division, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, August 2007.
- Manuscript Reviewer, Management Education Division, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, August 2007. (Winner of “Best Reviewer Award.”)
- Manuscript Reviewer, Conflict Management Division, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, August 2004.
- Manuscript Reviewer, Conflict Management Division, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Seattle Washington, August 2003.
- Manuscript Reviewer, Entrepreneurship Division, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Denver CO, August 2002.
- Text Reviewer, Formulation, Implementation, and Control of Competitive Strategy, by John A Pearce, II and Richard B. Robinson, Jr., Fourth Edition, Irwin, 1991.
- Text Reviewer, The Strategic Management Process: A Choice Perspective, by John R. Montanari, Cyril P. Morgan, and Jeffrey S. Bracker, The Dryden Press, 1990.
Text Reviewer, Teaching Modules On Urban Mass Transit, West Virginia University August 1983.
- Manuscript Reviewer, Social Issues, Legal Environment, and Government Track, Eastern Academy of Management Conference, Buffalo, NY. May 10-12, 1990.
- Manuscript Reviewer, Annual National Conference of the Association for Human Resources Management and Organizational Behavior, Philadelphia, PA, October 31-November 4,1987, session on Women in Management.
- Manuscript Reviewer, Eastern Academy of Management, Boston, MA, May 14-15, 1987.
- Manuscript Reviewer, Transportation Research Forum National Meetings, Washington, DC, August, 1983, Session on Transportation Labor.
Professional Workshops and Seminars Attended
- Negotiation Teaching Workshop, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, November 2008.
- Negotiation Teaching Workshop, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, November 2004.
- Diversity Leadership Academy of the Delaware Valley sponsored by The American Institute for Managing Diversity, Malvern, PA, Fall 2004.
- AACSB Learning from the Leaders Seminar, Denver, CO, September, 2004.
- Frontiers of Negotiation Conference, Northwestern University, Chicago, May 2004.
- Negotiation Teaching Workshop, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, November 2002.
- Graduate Management Admissions Council (GMAC) MBA Leadership Conference, Amelia Island, FL, January 2002.
- Council of Graduate Schools 41st Annual Meetings, San Diego, CA, December, 2001.
- Penn State Executive Leadership Management Program, University Park, PA, October 2001.
- "Changing Landscape of the Masters Degree," Penn State workshop, University Park, PA, September 2001.
Governors State University
- Co-chair, Administrative Negotiating Team for UPI and GSU contract negotiations (2008-present)
- Member, Planning and Budget Advisory Council (PBAC) (2008-present)
- Member, Budget Subcommittee of PBAC (2008-present)
- Member, Search Committee for Director of Development (20009)
- Member, University Marketing Committee, 2008-present
Pennsylvania State University
- Chair, Penn State Great Valley Campus Executive Officer Search Committee, 2000. Appointed by the Dean of the Graduate School, Vice President for Research to chair the search for the new Campus Executive Officer and Associate Dean of Penn State Great Valley.
- Member, Subcommittee on New Graduate Courses and Programs, 2003-2006. The Subcommittee is the first level of University-wide review for all new graduate courses and programs.
- Member, Ad Hoc Committee on Professional Masters Degrees, 2004-2006. The Ad Hoc Committee sets policy and standards for professional master’s degrees at Penn State.
- IMBA Executive Committee, 2001-2006. The Committee evaluates all academic and programmatic policies and issues with respect to the iMBA.
- World Campus iMBA Development Team, 2000. MBA directors and faculty from four Penn State campuses developed an intercollegiate on-line MBA program.
Penn State Great Valley School of Graduate Professional Studies
- Chair, Director of Professional and Continuing Education Search Committee, 2002. Appointed by the Campus Executive Officer to chair the search for a new Director of Professional Continuing Education.
- Co-Chair, Marketing Committee, 1999-2005. Appointed by Campus Executive Officer to recommend marketing initiatives for the school.
- Member, Penn State Great Valley Promotion and Tenure Committee, 2007-2008. Elected by colleagues to review promotion and tenure cases.
- Member, Penn State Great Valley Faculty Affairs Committee, 2007-2008.
- Member, Director of Marketing and Communications Search Committee, 2003. Appointed by the Campus Executive Officer to screen and interview candidates for a new Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Member, AD-14 Committee for the Penn State Great Valley Division Head of Engineering, 2002.
Appointed by the Campus Executive Officer to evaluate the effectiveness of the Engineering Division and the leadership and effectiveness of the Engineering Division Head.
- Member, Penn State Great Valley Strategic Planning Committee, 2001-2002, 2004-2006. Appointed by the Campus Executive Officer to develop the School’s 2002-2005 and 2005-2008 strategic plans.
- Ad Hoc E-commerce Steering Committee, 1999-2000.
University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Senator, University Faculty Senate, 1994-95. Elected to represent the Management Department in the University Faculty Senate.
- Member, AACSB Committee, 1992-93. The Committee prepared the Self-Study Report for the College of Management's reaccredidation by the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Report was recommended as a model for other schools involved in accreditation process.
- College Coordinator for Arthur Andersen Business Ethics Program, 1992-95.
- Member, Ad Hoc Enrollment Management Committee, 1992-93. Committee developed and reviewed plans to improve recruitment and retention of students in the College of Management.
- Chair, Ad Hoc MBA Committee, 1991-1992. Coordinated major revision of the MBA Program to conform to AACSB accreditation standards and the mission of the College of Management and University which focuses on enhancing economic development in the industrial sector. Supervised and coordinated the development of eight new integrated courses for the Advanced Core of the Program.
- Member, Search Committee for Dean of the Graduate School, 1991-1992. Appointed by Chancellor of the University to screen and interview candidates for the position of Dean of the Graduate School.
- College Of Management Graduate Programs Committee, Ex Officio as Graduate Programs Director, 1991-93, Chair 1990-1991. Member, 1989-1990. One of major standing committees in the College, it evaluates graduate curricula and program standards, and recommends modifications to COM faculty. As Program Director, initiated development of a 5-year BS/ MBA program in Accounting, and a Music Business MBA in conjunction with the College of Fine Arts.
- Member, Ad Hoc Outreach Committee, 1990-1991. Committee worked to broaden College of
Management contacts with the business community.
- Member, Ad Hoc Steering Committee for the Policy and Planning Department, 1990-1991.
Participated in formulation of departmental mission, departmental policies, and recruitment of new faculty for newly developed Policy and Planning Department.
- Member, Search Committee for Assistant Dean for the College of Management Science, 1990.
Elected by College Faculty to represent College in the recruitment of an Assistant Dean.
- Member, Ad Hoc Joint Engineering Doctorate Committee, 1989-1990. Participated in determination of role of Management faculty in Doctor of Engineering Program and revisions in curriculum for management component of Program.
- Member, Academic Standards Committee, 1989-1990. Participated in review and evaluation of student petitions, assisted in setting policy on matters of academic integrity.
- Beta Gamma Sigma, 1988-1995. Founding President, 1988-1990. Worked to establish University of Lowell Chapter of the preeminent academic honor society for accredited schools of business. Advisor, Secretary-Treasurer, 1991-1993.
- Member, Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, 1988-1989; 1986-1987. Participated in evaluation and modification of undergraduate curricula.
- Member, Management Department Curriculum Committee, 1988-1989. Participated in formulation of department mission statement, and evaluation and modification of management curricula in order to work towards achievement of departmental mission.
- Coordinator, Strategic Management Teaching Group, 1987-1993. Coordinated effort of six colleagues to satisfy reaccredidation requirements. Formulated core topic requirements for graduate and undergraduate Strategic Management courses. Initiated discussion of teaching methods, and led examination of other areas of mutual interest. Instrumental in recruitment process for new faculty candidates.
- Faculty Recruiting, 1987-1989. Assisted department chair in identifying and screening candidates for faculty positions in Strategic Management and Organizational Behavior. Contacted potential candidates at National Academy of Management Meetings.
- College of Business Administration Honors Program, 1982-1984, (Coordinator, 1984)—Responsible for reviewing and selecting Honors Seminar proposals, arranging for guest speakers, including George Hatsopoulos, CEO of Thermoelectron Corporation, and Judge Stephen Breyer, Chief Justice of the First Circuit Court of Appeals, and making arrangements for Spring Reception.
- Member, University Affirmative Action Committee, 1981-1982.
- Member, College of Business Administration Academic Standing Committee, 1980-1981. Committee responsible for ruling on student appeals in academic matters.
- Member, College of Business Administration Undergraduate Programs Committee, 1980-1981.
Committee evaluated and recommended changes to undergraduate curricula.
- Member, Southland Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, 2009-2012.
- Member, Parent Advisory Board, Bright Horizons Children's Centers, 1990-1991. Acted as liaison between parents, teachers and director of center. Planned special events of interest to parents and community.
- Advisor, Small Business Institute, 1988-1990. Advised and coordinated students in their research as consultants to small businesses in the region.
- Member, Advisory Board, Shawsheen Extended Day (SHED), 1989–1990. Board served as parent-teacher liaison and formulated goals and policies for the SHED after school program in the Andover Public School.
- AACSB Women Administrators in Management Education (WAME) (2000-present) Steering Committee 2005-2007
- Academy of Management (1985-present)
- American Society for Training and Development (ASTD) (1995-1999)
- Eastern Academy of Management (1985-1995)
- MAACBA (2001-2006)
- MBA Forum (2000-2006)National Association of Female Executives (2003-present)
- OD Network (1995-1999)