The TQE-R scholarship are awards in amounts of $1000-2500 for a single trimester for qualified applicants or currently enrolled students in the secondary education programs in biology, chemistry, English, mathematics at GSU. The Teacher Quality Enhancement Recruitment Scholarships (TQE-R) are supported by a grant from the United States Department of Education.
After completion of the program, scholarship recipients are required to teach in a high need school for a period of time equal to the length of the scholarship or reimburse the U.S. Department of Education for all scholarship monies received.
Please note: For the term of service, the dollar amount of scholarship monies received is not a factor. Recipients are required to teach in a high need school for a period of time equal to the length of the scholarship they received.
Admitted to a GSU Secondary Education Program.
Official transcripts demonstrating a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher for all undergraduate coursework to be applied to the degree program. This includes general education and core courses.
Two letters of recommendation from college teachers, counselors or deans in support of the student’s application for the scholarship and demonstrating the student's potential to teach in a high need school.
A word processed essay of not more than 300 words explaining the student’s interest in teaching in a high need
school (to be submitted electronically below).
Your application will be complete when we have received your letters of recommendation and copies of your official transcripts. Please send these items to:
TQE-R Director, CAS/LIBA
Governors State University
Univeristy Park, IL 60484
Scholarship Application Process
- Complete the online TQE-R Scholarship application by clicking on the link above.
- Send all required additional documents to:
Prof. Cheryl Hague
Governors State University
1 University Parkway
University Park, IL 60466
- When all documents are received, the TQE-R Scholarship Committee will review the application.
- You will be notified of the Committee's decision by email. If you are awarded a scholarship, be sure to submit your signed blue contract addendum or pink contract (first time recipients) no later than 7 days after the date of the email. The blue contract addendum and the pink contract are available on the outside of the TQE Office door in the English Office area, 1st floor, E-wing. Please place the completed forms in the faculty mailbox of TQE-R Grant Director, Cheryl Hague. The mailboxes are located directly to the left of the TQE office.
- July 1, 2010 for FALL 2010 (FINAL TERM OF SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS FOR THIS GRANT)
Application for Scholarship