Special Admission Requirements
Applications for admission are due by the fourth Friday in March in any given year. Applications for admission are available from the GSU Admission Office and the Division of Liberal Arts Office. Due to limited space availability, this program can only accept fifteen students each year. Applications will be ranked for admission on the basis of their academic potential and admission criteria.
In addition to meeting university admission criteria, applicants must:
A. Submit to the Office of Admission and Student Recruitment:
- provide evidence of an undergraduate major in media, multimedia, communications, English, speech, or liberal arts;
- have a minimum cumulative undergraduate G.P.A. of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale. Graduate courses can be substituted but the cumulative G.P.A. must be a 3.5 or better.
- have appropriate prerequisite course work with a minimum prerequisite G.P.A. of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. The GSU equivalent course is given in parenthesis. The following courses (in semester credit-hours) or their equivalents are minimum prerequisites for entry into the M.F.A. program.
a. English composition (3)
b. Speech course or oral communication (3)
c. Applied digital technology (3)
- submit a supplementary application packet which includes;
a. supplemental information form,
b. a current resume;
c. three letters of recommendation, and
- provide official TOEFL scores (if applicable); and
- submit the payment of the $50 application fee.
B. Submit to the IFDI Program Coordinator:
- submit a portfolio: for students in digital imaging, this entails a CD-ROM of stills; for students in digital filmmaking, this entails a sample of a prior production on DVD, tape, or URL for streaming video; and
- a personal essay or statement of intent with respect to goals for the degree, and artistic philosophy. Note: applicants may, at the discretion of the M.F.A. admissions committee, also be requested to participate in personal interviews.
For Additional Information Please see the MFA in IFDI website at www.govst.edu/mfa