- PhD, English, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, Texas, 1989.
- MA, English, Texas Christian University, 1987.
- BA, Wayland University, Plainview, Texas, 1983. Major: history; Minors: English and philosophy.
- Review of Edward Schiappa’s Defining Reality: Definitions and the Politics of Meaning.Journal of Advanced Composition 24(2004): 239-42.
- Review of Albert Kitzhaber's Rhetoric in American Colleges, 1850-1900.Journal of Advanced Composition 11 (Fall 1991): 472-74.
- “Merging Teaching and Scholarship,” (with Trish Jenkins and Jeff White) A Delicate Balance. Eds Joe Marshall Hardin and Ray Wallace. Lewiston, NY: The Edwin Mellen Press, 2004. 123-44.
- “The Service Myth, or Why Freshman Composition Doesn’t Serve ‘Us’ or ‘Them,’ Reforming College Composition: Writing the Wrongs. Eds. Ray Wallace, Alan Jackson, and Susan Lewis. Westport, CN: Greenwood, 2000. 113-22.
- “Collaboration, Consensus, and Dissoi Logoi,” (with Dana G. Mead), Writing on the Edge, 7 (Fall/Winter 1995): 83-92.
- “The Bewitching of Composition: Metaphors of our Discipline,” (with Dana G. Mead), Journal of Advanced Composition, 14 (Fall 1994): 521-29.
- “The Eighteenth Century,” (with Winifred B. Horner), The Present State of Scholarship in Historical and Contemporary Rhetoric. Ed. W. B. Horner. Columbia: University of Missouri Press, 1990. 114-50.
- “The State of Praise,” Rhetoric Society of America, May 2010, Minneapolis, MN
- “The Necessity of Praise,” Rhetoric Society of America, May 2008, Seattle, WA
- “The Role of Aristotle’s Virtue Ethics in the Rhetoric,” International Society for the History of Rhetoric, July 2007, Strasbourg, France
- “Epideictic Rhetoric and Speeches for the Removal of Grief.” Rhetoric Society of America, May 2004, Austin, TX
- Conference on College Composition and Communication
- Rhetoric Society of America
- International Society of the History of Rhetoric
- National Council of Teachers of English