- Ph.D., Anthropology, University of Chicago
- M.A, University of Chicago
- B.A., Rice University
- “How to Get Along with Language: A Theory of Politeness Phenomena,” in Papers from the 23rd Regional Meeting of the Chicago Linguistics Society.
- “Aspects of the Meaning of American English Kinterms,” in Papers from the 18th Regional Meeting of the Chicago Linguistics Society.
- Submitted for publication: "The Taste for Accounting: Tutelary Reasons for the Resistance to Social Sciences in an MBA Program."
- Submitted: “The Value of Control among Audio and Video Engineers.”
- “Thickly Paved With Good Intentions,” review of The Dominion of War: Empire and Liberty in North America, 1500-2000, by Fred Anderson and Andrew Cayton. New Ground, Sept. 2005.
- “Why They Lose,” (an analysis of Democratic Party rhetoric). New Ground, Nov. 2004.
- “Lest We Forget: Finnish-Americans and the Great Dissent,” review of Blueberry God: The Education of a Finnish-American, by Reino N. Hannula. New Ground, May 2004.
- “Bad Medicine,” Chicago Reader, vol. 33 no. 16, Jan. 16, 2004.
- “Labor War in Lake Wobegon,” review of Packinghouse Daughter, by Cheri Register. New Ground, Jan. 2003.
- “Waiting for the Jedi,” review of Empire, by Michael Hardt & Antonio Negri. New Ground, Nov. 2001.
- “Campus Greens Super-Rally for Social Change -- Whither the Green Party?.” New Ground, Sep. 2001.
- “‘Solidarity? - Whatever’ or Solidarity Forever: Recent Research on Members’ Identification with Their Union.” New Ground, July 2001.
- Review of Striking Steel: Solidarity Remembered, by Jack Metzgar. New Ground, Sep. 2000.
- Review of WCFL: Chicago’s Voice of Labor, 1926-78. New Ground, June 2000.
- Beyond “White,” “Black,” and “Other”: Confronting Whiteness to End Racism. The Third National Conference on Whiteness. New Ground, Jan 1999.
Lectures and Addresses
- "Buddhism in Three Asian Societies," T.A.L.E. Program, May, 2009.
- "Theories of Selves," Honors Seminar, Governors State University, Mar., 2009.
- “Barriers to Class Consciousness Among Audio and Video Engineers.” Annual Meeting of the Society for Applied Anthropology, Mar., 2002.
- “Are Engineers Part of a ‘Community?’ The Effect of the Circulation of Gossip.” Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, Nov., 2001.
- “How a Job Gets a Gender The Masculinity of Control in Audio and Video Engineering.” Course on Gender and Society, University of Illinois at Chicago, February, 2001.
- “Tutelary Reasons for Resistance to Anthropology in Business Schools,” Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, Nov., 1999
- “The Reciprocal Roles of Externalization (Projection) and Internalization (Introjection) in a New Theory of Value-Formation.” Central States Anthropology Society, May, 1997.
- “Control, Masculinity, and the Metaphor of Penetration in the Analysis of Gender Segregation at Work,” Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, Nov., 1996
- “Theories of Selves,” combined sections lecture for the course Self, Culture and Society, Social Science Collegiate Division of the University of Chicago, April, 1994.
- “Heads, Hands and Hearts: A Bodily Model of the Structure of Production in Audio and Video Engineering,” Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, Nov., 1991
- “Gender, Culture, and Moral Development: Kohlberg, Gilligan, and Gandhi,” combined sections lecture for the course Self, Culture and Society, Social Science Collegiate Division of the University of Chicago, May, 1989.
- “Emblems of Masculinity: The Symbolic Construction of Masculinity in a Service Sector Firm,” Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, Nov., 1987
- “A Theory of Politeness Phenomena,” Chicago Linguistics Society, April, 1987.
- “American English Kinterms,” Chicago Linguistics Society, April, 1982.
- Professor Frances Kostarelos, Social Sciences and Liberal Education, Governors State University, University Park, IL 60466. Tel.: 708-534-6986; Email: email@example.com.
- Professor Raymond D. Fogelson, Department of Anthropology, University of Chicago, 1126 East 59th Street, Chicago IL 60637. Tel.: 773-702-7726.
- Professor Ralph W. Nicholas, Department of Anthropology, University of Chicago, 1126 East 59th Street, Chicago IL 60637. Tel.: 773-288-1538; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Carol Stocking, Director of Research Programs, Center for Clinical Medical Ethics, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago. Tel.: 773-702-1648
- Judge Theodore M. Swain (ret.), Gould and Ratner, 222 North LaSalle Street, 8th Floor, Chicago IL 60601. Tel.: 312-899-1604; Email: email@example.com.
- Sociology of Work Organizations
- Sociology of Gender
- Sociology of Health and Healthcare
- Social Psychology of Identity
- Sociology of Neighborhoods
- American Anthropological Association
- American Sociological Association