- Ph.D., Botany, University of Florida, 1996
- M.S., Wildlife Science, Auburn University, 1987
- B.S., Forestry and Wildlife, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1985
- "Road salt germination inhibition of native plants used in roadside plantings." Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. D.L. Gibson, and M. E. Carrington. 2008. 1&2:13-22.
- "The science-faith debate in higher education." Forum on Public Policy. Carrington, M. E. and G. L. Lyon. 2007. 2(1).
- "Effects of burning season and frequency on saw palmetto (Serenoa repens) flowering and fruiting." Forest Ecology and Management. M. E. Carrington and J.J. Mullahey. 2006. 230:69-78.
- "Pollination biology of saw palmetto (Serenoa repens: Palmae) in southwestern Florida." Palms. M. E. Carrington, T.D. Gottfried and J. J. Mullahey. 2003. 47(2):95-103.
- "Wildland shrubs of the United States and its territories: thamnic descriptions." General Technical Report IITF-WB-1, U.S. Forest Service, International Institute of Tropical Forestry, and Shrub Sciences Laboratory. D.K. Kennard, K. Outcalt and M. E. Carrington. 2002. Serenoa repens (Bartr.) Small. PDF, 217 KB, in Francis, J. K. (ed.)
- "Forest succession in tropical hardwood hammocks of the Florida Keys: effects of direct mortality from Hurricane Andrew." Biotropica. M. S. Ross, M. E. Carrington, L.J. Flynn and P.L. Ruiz. 2001. 33(1):23-33.
- "Premature fruit drop in saw palmetto caused by Colletotrichum gloeosporioiodes." Plant Disease. M. E. Carrington, P.D. Roberts, N.V.R.R. Urs, R.J. McGovern, T. E. Seijo and J. J. Mullahey. 2001. 85(2):122-125.
- "Saw palmetto (Serenoa repens): an emerging forest resource in the southeastern United States." Southern Journal of Applied Forestry M. E.Carrington, J. J. Mullahey, G. Krewer, B. Boland and J. Affolter. 2000. 24(3):129-134.
- "Comparison of post-fire seedling establishment between scrub communities in mediterranean- and non-mediterranean-climate ecosystems." Journal of Ecology . M. E. Carrington and J.E. Keeley. 1999. 87(6):1025-1036.
- "Post-fire seedling establishment in Florida sand pine scrub." Journal of Vegetation Science. Carrington, M. E. 1999. 10:403-412.
- "Soil seed bank structure and composition in Florida sand pine scrub." American Midland Naturalist. M. E. Carrington, 1997. 137:39-47.
- "Deforestation and its effects on forest nesting-birds in the Florida Keys." Conservation Biology. G. T. Bancroft, A. M. Strong and M. E. Carrington. 1995. 9:835-844.
- "Effects of lead shot ingestion on free-ranging mourning doves." Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. M. E. Carrington and M. E. Mirarchi. 1989. 43:173-179.
- Faculty Excellence Award for Research, Teaching and Service. Governors State University, 2008
- "Arbuscular mycorrhizae interaction with roots of prairie dock (Silphium terebenthinaceum), wild quinine (Parthenium integrifolium), and smooth blue aster (Aster laevis)." Paper presented at Ecological Society of America meeting. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 2008.
- "Effects of plant species seed size on behavior in prairie restoration." Poster presented at Ecological Society of America meeting. Montreal, Canada. 2005.
- "Above-ground vs. below-ground competition for seedlings in postfire rosemary scrub, Florida." Poster presented at Ecological Society of America meeting, Savannah, Georgia. 2003.
- "Pollination biology of saw palmetto (Serenoa repens: Palmae) in southwestern Florida" Paper presented at Ecological Society of America meeting, Madison, Wisconsin. 2001.
- "Effects of nitrogen fertilization on saw palmetto (Serenoa repens)." Poster presented at 97th Annual International Conference of the American Society for Horticultural Science. Lake Buena Vista, Florida. 2000.
- "Effects of time since burning on saw palmetto (Serenoa repens) flowering and fruiting." Paper presented at the Walt Dineen Society meeting. North Miami Beach, Florida. 1997.
- "Saw palmetto: a new image." Paper presented at the Society of Ecological Restoration meeting. Gainesville, Florida. 1997.
- "Life history strategies and post-fire seedling establishment in Florida sand pine scrub." Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America. Snowbird, Utah. 1995.
- Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LS-AMP, National Science Foundation) coordinator for Governors State University, 2008
- Center for Extended Learning liaison, 2003
- Grading Policies Committee, 2003
- Academic Program Review Committee, 2001–2003
- Search Committee for three faculty positions in Art, 2002
- Grievance Committee, 2001
- Search Committee for faculty position in Media Communications, 2001
- Vice Chair, Land Conservancy of Will County, 2008
- Board member, Land Conservancy of Will County, 2004
- Technical Committee, Thorn Creek Ecosystem Partnership, 2002
- Chicago Wilderness Teacher Training Hub, 2002
- Botanical Society of America
- Ecological Society of America
- Illinois State Academy of Science