- Ph.D., Environmental Sciences and Resources/Chemistry, Portland State University, 1986
- B.A., Chemistry, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, 1979
- Karen D'Arcy and Bobby Lathan, In-House Technicians Training Program at Rhone-Poulenc Basic Chemicals, Journal of Chemical Education, 70, 1010-1013, (1993).
- R. Chiarizia, E.P. Horowitz, K.A. D'Arcy, S.D. Alexandatos, and A.W. Trochimczuk, Uptake of Metal Ions by a New Chelating Ion Exchange Resin. Part 9: Silica Grafted Diphosphonic Acid, Solvent Extraction and Ion Exchange, 14(6), 1077-1100 (1996).
- R. Chiarizia, K.A. D'Arcy, E.P. Horowitz, S.D. Alexandratos and A.W. Trochimczuk, Uptake of Metal Ions by a New Chelating Ion Exchange Resin. Part 8: Simultaneous Uptake of Cationic and Anionic Species, Solvent Extraction and Ion Exchange, 14(3), 519-542 (1996).
- R. Chiarizia, J.R. Ferraro, K.A. D'Arcy and E. P. Horowitz, Solvent Extraction and Ion Exchange, 13(6), 1063 (1995).
- Governors State University Faculty Excellence Award: 1999
- Governors State University Faculty Excellence Award: 1997
- Governors State University Faculty Excellence Award: 1987
- K. D'Arcy, G. Lyon, L. Zayed, G. Alexander, J. Schmidt, High School Students as Analysts: the Governors State University Penny Project, American Chemical Society Great Lakes Regional Meeting, Loyola University, May 2003.
- K.D'Arcy, J.Addison, J.Yunger, B.Ramirez, Model Student Environmental Contract Laboratory, FACSS, October 2001, Detriot.
- K. D'Arcy, J. Mendelson, The Benefits of Discharge in an Urban Stream, Thorn Creek a Case Study, Illinois Association of Wastewater Agencies, August 2001, St. Charles.
- R. Chiarizia, E.P. Horowitz, K.A. D'Arcy, S.D. Alexandratos, and A.W. Trochimczuk, Uptake of Actinides and Other Ions by Diphosil, a New Silica-Based Chelating Ion Exchange Resin, IEX 1996.
- K.A. D'Arcy and D.K. Roe, Detection of Evolved Hydrogen During Electrochemical Reduction of Arsenic (III), 21st American Chemical Society Central Regional Meeting, John Carroll University, Cleveland, Ohio, May 31 - June 2, 1989.
- K.A. D'Arcy and D.K. Roe, Speciation of Inorganic Arsenic by Cathodic Stripping Voltammetry, West Coast Water Chemistry Workshop, January 1, 1984.
CPATH CB: Content and Context: Building Collaborative Partnerships in Higher Education and Industry
Grants and Contracts
- Model Student Environmental Contract Laboratory, National Science Foundation Course, Curriculum, and Laboratory Improvement (NSF-CCLI), 2000, K.D’Arcy (PI), J.Addison, J.Yunger, B. Ramirez. Acquire Atomic Absorption Spectrometer with graphite furnace and computer automation, autosampler for GC/MS, and digester to equip facsimile of professional environmental contract lab. Improve student learning in CHEM 505/506 Environmental Chemistry. Provide environmental analysis services to local junior and senior high school students and teacher, role playing as clients of contract lab. NSF-CCLI award $99,700, $240,000 project total. www.ehr.nsf/PIRSWeb/Doc/088831.htm
- A Regional WWW-Based FT-NMR for Chemistry Curriculum Improvements, National Science Foundation Course, Curriculum and Laboratory Improvement (NSF-CCLI), 1999, Gregory Moehring (PI), S. Kumar, S. Diab, J. Selbka, S. Park, J. Addison, K. D’Arcy. Develop remote access FT-NMR facility at GSU in partnership with University of St. Francis and South Suburban College, $100,000 award, $230,000 project total. www.ehr.nsf/PIRSWeb/Doc/9950554.htm
- Thorn Creek Watershed Planning Workshop, Illinois Department of Natural Resources, C2000 $10,000, February 24 and 25, 2000, Governors State University, K. D’Arcy and J. Mendelson.
- Pilot Study of Stream Flow in Plum Creek, Thorn Creek Ecosystem Partnership, Illinois Department of Natural Resources, C2000 FY00, $5,900, K. D’Arcy.
- Phone Poulenc Basic Chemicals Company, Chicago Heights, Illinois; 1987-1989; $190,000. K. D’Arcy, E. Cehelnik, Educational program using chemistry faculty designed to retrain fourteen laboratory technicians. Developed curriculum and delivered six courses in the area of mathematics, chemistry, and computer science.
- ENSR Corporation, Acton Massachusetts; 1988-1990; $17,000. K. D’Arcy. Operated USEPA ME-35 Acid Modes acid precipitation monitoring station. Recruited and supervised students operators.
Internally Funded Projects
- "Synthesis of Toluene Degradation Products," Governors State University Mini-Grant; 1989: $800.
- "Cathodic Stripping Analysis of Inorganic Arsenic with Codeposition of Copper, Selenium, or Nickel at a Mercury Thin Film Electrode," Governors State University Alumni Foundation; 1986; $2000.
- "Interface for Computer Assisted Electrochemistry," Governors State University Alumni Foundation; 1988; $1,530.
- "Synthesis of Toluene Degradation Products," Governors State University Research Grant; 1990/1991; $2000.
- "NSF-GLRC Summer Practicum for Applied Environmental Problem Solving," May–June 1992 at SUNY Oswego, Oswego NY and the Great lakes Research Consortium.
- "Hyphenated Techniques in Analytical Chemistry: HPLC-MS and SCFE-GC." November 1992, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL.
- "Groundwater Pollution in America," Chatauqua course, Northern Illinois University, April 1988. Supported by GSU Alumni Foundation, $150.
- "Immobilized Enzyme Electrodes: Theory and Practice," American Chemical Society, Chicago, IL, September 1985.
- "Acid Rain Control Institute, Developing a Consensus for Action," Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne , IL, August 1985.
Student Research Projects
- Paula Ignat, Karen D'Arcy, Development of Student Experiments with Computer-Aided Electrochemistry, 1988.
- George Uhl, Karen D'Arcy Development of Computer Program for Kinetic Measurements with Computer-Aided Electrochemistry, 1988.
- John Rizzos, Karen D'Arcy, Comparison of Spectroscopic Techniques for Analysis of Metals in Vegetable Oils, 1990.
- Burhan Afandi, Karen D'Arcy, Development of Computer Programs for Solution of Metal-Ligand Equilibrium Problems, 1989.
- Ming Zeng, Aldo Apponi, Scott Hamer, Karen D'Arcy, Synthesis of Some Toluene Degradation Products, 1989–1992.
- Laura Pytlewski, Karen D'Arcy, Carl Raleigh (Motorola, Inc.), Investigation of Experimental Conditions for Capillary Electrophoresis Analysis of Two Organic Acids of Interest to Electronics Industry, 1993.
- Maureen Clapper (Argonne National Laboratory), Jack Demirgian (Argonne National Laboratory), Joseph Addison, Karen D'Arcy, Development of a Method to Detect Volatile and Semivolatile Contaminants in Soil Samples by Thermal Desorption-Fourier Infrared Spectroscopy, 1993.
- Nancy Tomczyk (Argonne National Laboratory), John Schneider (Argonne National Laboratory), Karen D'Arcy and Joseph Addison, Method Development to Determine TNT Degradation Products Using HPLC and Other Analytical Techniques, 1993.
- Elizabeth Autero, Rebecca Serf, Jon Mendelson, Karen D'Arcy, Evaluation of Point Source and Non-Point Source Pollution of Deer Creek, Will and Cook County, IL, 1993.
- Robert Gruenig, Jon Mendelson, Karen D'Arcy, Evaluation of Chemical and Biological Water Quality Parameters, 1995.
- Liduvina Vivanco (Joliet Central High School), Karen D'Arcy, Development of SPME-GC (solid phase microextration-gas chromatography) method for determination of herbicides in regional environmental samples, 1996.
- James Kopkowski (Amoco, Whiting , IN), Karen D'Arcy, Development of Analytical Method for Determination of ppm Level of Water in Motor Oil, Lubricants, and Fuel Oils, 1997.
- Lina Zayed (Reavis High School), Gary Lyon, Determination of Zinc in the U.S. Cent Minted from 184 to 1962 by Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy, 2003.
- Glenn Alexander (Marist High School), Gary Lyon, Determination of Tin in U.S. Cent Using Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy, 2004.
- Todd Kotecki, Gary Lyon, Determination of Arsenic Levels in United States Cents (1864–1962), 2004.
- James Alexopolous, Gary Lyon, Spectroscopic Determination of Silver in the U.S. Cent Minted from 1864 to 1962 by AAS, 2005.
- Governors State University Faculty Senate President, January, 1997–September 2000.
- Co-Chair, Governors State University Strategic Planning Committee, 2000/2001