Our volunteer ushers are valued members of the Center for Performing Arts. They assist with Mainstage productions, Arts in Education and Rental events.
CPA Ushers Are Expected to:
- Arrive at least one hour prior to the performance to allow time to sign-in, receive assignments, and pertinent information about the day's performance. Some performances require an earlier arrival time.
- Dress in a professional manner. Black & White formal attire, ideally.
- Have a flashlight and a name badge.
- Stuff programs with inserts.
- Usher, take and scan tickets, greet and direct patrons.
- Watch for patrons entering the house with prohibited drink, food or electronics.
- Watch the house for disruptive behavior or emergencies and notify house management.
- Remain at their assigned location. Close their assigned door(s) when house lights go down, open their assigned door(s) when house lights go up.
- Pick up programs, tickets, and inserts from floor after the performance.
- Check for lost items and give them to house management.
- Assist disabled patrons with accessible seating.
- Volunteer for a minimum of one Arts in Education show per season and one four-hour shift of a Dance Competition per season.
Questions? Contact Patron Services Manager Jane Cox at
708.235.2811 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all performance events, we need a minimum of five
ushers. The Usher Call Time is between 60-90 minutes prior to curtain.
Dance competitions have different and more specific ushering needs, and
if you are willing to work for any of those income producing rental
events please contact the Jane at 708.235.2811 in advance to
confirm your participation and hours.
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities for 2017-18
|Showbiz Dance Competition (RENTAL)||March 2-4||Ushers required in 4 hour shifts|
|Dance to the Movies||Thu, March 8 at 7:30 p.m.||Usher call 6:30 p.m.|
|Sheryl Underwood and Friends Comedy Show ***CANCELLED***||Sat, March 10 at 8 p.m.||Usher call 7 p.m.|
|A Midsummer Night's Dream AIE Field Trip||Thu, March 15 at 10 a.m.||Usher call 8:45 a.m.|
|BravO Dance Competition (RENTAL)||March 16-18||Ushers required in 4 hour shifts|
|Headliners Dance Competition (RENTAL)||March 23-25||Ushers required in 4 hours shifts|
|Peter Pan and the Pirates AIE Field Trip||Wed, May 2 at 9:45 a.m. & 12 noon||Usher call 8:45 a.m.|
|Chamberlain Graduation||Thur., May 3 at 4 p.m.||Usher call 2:30 p.m.|
|Dance Competition Weekend (RENTAL)||May 4-6||Ushers required in 4 hour shifts|
|Star Dance Alliance Dance Competition Weekend (RENTAL)||May 11-13||Ushers required in 4 hour shifts|
|Creative Dance Recital (RENTAL)||Sun, May 20 time TBA||Usher call TBA|
|Dance Competition Weekend (RENTAL)||May 25-27||Ushers required in 4 hour shifts|
|Dance Images Recital (RENTAL)||Sat, June 2 at 12 p.m. and 5 p.m.||Usher call 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.|
|American Dance Center Recital (RENTAL)||Sat, June 9 at 11 a.m.; 3 p.m.; & 7 p.m.||Usher call 10 a.m.; 2 p.m.; & 6 p.m.|
|American Dance Center Recital (RENTAL)||Sun, June 10 at 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.||Usher call 1 p.m. and 5 p.m.|
|Studio One Dance Recital (RENTAL)||Sat, June 16 at 1 p.m. and 5 p.m.||Usher call 12 p.m. and 4 p.m.|
|Studio One Dance Recital (RENTAL)||Sun, June 17 at 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.||Usher call 1 p.m. and 5 p.m.|
|Emerald City Summer Camp Show ||Fri, June 22 at 7 p.m.||Usher call 6 p.m.|
|Footworks Dance Recital (RENTAL)||Sun, June 24 at 2 p.m.||Usher call 1 p.m.|