Both graduate and undergraduate students enrolled in GSU's Health Administration program can benefit from membership in the GSU Chapter of Upsilon Phi Delta, the Health Administration Honor Society.
Health Administration Honor Society -- Upsilon Phi Delta -- GSU Chapter
Policies and Procedures
Nature of Upsilon Phi Delta Honor Society -- Governors State University Chapter
Upsilon Phi Delta
is a national academic honor society for students in health administration. It is a member benefit of the Association of University Programs in Health Administration. Upsilon, Phi and Delta are Greek words for health, care, and leadership, respectively.
The Upsilon Phi Delta Honor Society - Governors State University Chapter (UPD-GSU Chapter) is an active member of the Upsilon Delta National Honor Society and is comprised of qualified students from both graduate and undergraduate programs.
The Mission of the UPD-GSU Chapter
The mission of the UPD-GSU Chapter is to enhance the academic and professional competence of individual members. This mission is achieved by:
- Elevating the standards, ideals, competence, professionalism and ethics of educated students in health administration.
- Recognizing and encouraging scholarship in health administration.
- Motivating academic and professional excellence in health administration students.
- Providing a supporting platform to UPD members for greater interaction and mutual support.
- Offering financial assistance through scholarships offered by the UPD National Honor Society.
- Preparing students for successful career path.
Membership in UPD-GSU Chapter
- Membership eligibility
a. Current Students
Membership application for the Upsilon Phi Delta Honor Society is limited to students who provide evidence of outstanding scholarship in terms of a higher grade point average on a 4.0 grade point scale. Graduate students must earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 and undergraduate students a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25. If the GPA of a student member is below the above criteria, the student will have one year probation to increase his/her GPA to meet the criteria for UPD honor students. If the student fails to meet the required GPA, during the probation year, the student will lose UPD membership.
Alumni of the health administration graduate program with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 and alumni of the health administration undergraduate program with a cumulative GPA of 3.25 are eligible to be a member of the UPD-GSU Chapter
- Pledging and initiation
Candidates may be considered for membership after completion of at least 18 credit hours and only after declaring a major in health administration.
Administration of the UPD- GSU Chapter
1. General Administration
a. The Chair of the GSU Health Administration Department appoints a full-time faculty member to administer the UPD-GSU Chapter.
b. The Chapter administrator is responsible for conducting all the affairs of the Chapter, including the following:
- Recruiting members.
- Administering students and alumni applications.
- Keeping record of membership.
- Communicating with UPD members.
- Planning special events and programs for UPD members.
- Planning new members' induction ceremony.
- Administering members' scholarship applications.
- Posting news and information on the Health Administration Program website.
- Serving as a liaison between the Health Administration Program and UPD National Honor Society.
c. Membership contribution
Members possess a lifetime affiliation with UPD with a one-time membership fee of $40. This covers the cost of UPD recognition pin, hood, certification and induction ceremony.
2. Qualifying courses in UPD-GSU
a. Undergraduate program
b. Graduate program
b. Vice President
a. Zo Ramamonjiarivelo
5. Official Colors
The official colors of the Honsor Society are Crimson Red and Blue.
For a membership application to Upsilon Phi Delta, the GSU Chapter of the Health Administration Honor Society, please click on the link below. Note: Application deadline is Friday, February 28, 2014.