GSU is once again sponsoring STEAM camps this summer for middle and high school students, ages 11 to 16. Camps are held on two different weeks, and students may register for one or both sessions. Camp fees are $200 per child, per week.
STEAM Camp Week 1 runs July 16 to 20, 2018, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
STEAM Camp Week 2 runs July 23 to 27, 2018, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Do you need additional activities from 3 to 5 p.m. Monday to Thursday on camp days? STEAM Camp Plus is an additional program for campers that need to stay for a full day. It will run Monday to Thursday, 3 to 5 p.m. with an additional cost of $60 per week.
We are moving to a new registration system for 2018.
Open registration date revised to Wednesday, March 21, 2018 (registration materials pending)
- Students will be responsible for providing their own lunch, drinks and snacks or money to purchase lunch in the GSU cafeteria.
- Sections are generally kept to approximately 20 campers per week.
- Middle and high school students may register for one or both STEAM camps.
- In order to be officially registered for the camp(s), the completed registration form(s), permission slip, photo release form, and appropriate payment must all be received by or before the registration deadline of Friday, July 6, 2018. Note that camp sessions tend to fill prior to July. Please see registration form at the bottom of the page.
A limited number of partial scholarships for Governors State University’s Summer 2018 STEAM Camp are awarded on a first-come, first-served, need-basis. Parents/ guardians and prospective campers may apply for scholarships for one or both weeks. Parents or guardians will be responsible for the remaining $50 per camper, per session camp fee ($100 if attending both sessions).
Scholarship awards are limited by supporting contributions and camp capacity. Please note that scholarships DO NOT include the cost of the optional STEAM Camp Plus, transportation to/ from camp, meals, snacks or incidental expenses.
Completed scholarship applications are due Friday, June 15, 2018.
Scholarship recipients will be notified by July 6, 2018 via email.
Download the scholarship application
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who will teach the STEAM workshops? Camp workshops will be taught by GSU science faculty, graduate students, pre-service teachers currently enrolled in a GSU teacher preparation program, and volunteer instructors from local science and technology companies.
- Where will workshops take place? Most workshops will take place in one of the newly built science labs at Governors State University. Some activities must take place outside, on GSU's campus as open space is required for the activity.
- How does the camp differ from 2017 and from week-to-week? Curriculum and activities are designed to build upon what campers from prior years and sessions were exposed to, while not necessarily repeating the same activities from year-to-year or week-to-week, or leaving new campers behind.
- What safety measure will be in place? Safety is of foremost concern. A safety video will be required viewing by all participants on the first day of camp. All participants must wear long pants and closed-toed shoes each day. Safety glasses and gloves will be provided to all participants as needed. Safety concerns and procedures for all labs will be fully explained before each lab.
- Will the schedule be strictly followed? No, it is only a tentative schedule. There is one activity that must take place outside. That activity will be planned according to the weather forecast.
- How will participants be chosen? Participants meeting all requirements will be chosen on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Are there any minimum grade requirements or specific math / science course prerequisites? No. The goal of the STEAM camp is to explore and increase interest in STEAM fields. We want the camp to be fun.
- meet the proper age requirements (ages 11 to 16)
- have the application and supporting documents fully completed and signed by a parent or legal guardian
- include the camp fee, image release, permission slip, and complete registration information
Registration is not complete until parents or legal guardians complete and submit required forms and payment. Please maintain a completed copy of this form for your records. Registration must be completed and received by Friday, July 6, 2018. Camp sessions may fill prior to July.
Note: If paying online, you will need to create a free account during the check-out process. If paying for multiple campers, please use the "Add Additional Attendee" button after making your selection(s).
For additional information, please contact: Luke Helm, firstname.lastname@example.org, 708.534.4088.
Looking for a STEAM Camp for younger kids? Please see Prairie State College's STEAM Camp.