The University Sustainable Garden at Governors State University (GSU) is a community initiative dedicated to harvesting healthy futures for youth and families in the southland area.
As a Let's Move Community Partner, Governors State University initiated this project to empower individuals and families to make healthy choices, build a sense of community, and to provide a space to grow a custom-designed garden.
The University Sustainable Garden at Governors State University features 64 garden plots of various sizes and is located on the southeast side of The Family Development Center. Ten plots are designated for GSU students to sustain a Student Food Pantry, to The Family Development Center to educate our youth on how to grow their own food, and to The College of Health and Human Services (CHHS) for a raised garden that is fully accessible.
The gardens will be open from dawn to dusk, May - October. The planting deadline is June 15. Gardens left unplanted on July 1 will be cleared and made available for reassignment to current gardeners for fall planting only. They will then be open for new gardeners in the following season.
The GSU Facilities Department oversees the seasonal operation of the garden.
Click here for the garden application >>
Click here for a complete list of rules and gardening practices >>
- In order to rent a plot, present a completed application and rules sheet to the Facilities, Development & Management office, B1230.
- Returning gardeners, specifically those within the GSU Community (Faculty, Staff, and Students) will be given priority for plot selection. New gardeners and community members can sign-up after the initial group. Each calendar year, a specific list of dates will be submitted for the separate groups.
- Gardeners are limited to one plot until May 15th; if plots remain after that date, additional plots may be rented by existing gardeners.
- Starter- 3.5’x10’ (35ft2) = $10
- Single- 10’x10’ (100ft2) = $15
- Blend- 10’x20’ (200ft2) = $20
- Double- 20'X20' (400ft2) = $25
*Students are eligible for a 50% discount on plot rental
*Payment is due at time of sign-up