Studying abroad can be enriching and enlightening - many students who travel abroad see it as a life changing experience.

If you're ready to explore study abroad or start your education abroad experience, you'll find all the necessary information here.

  • About Study Abroad


    The Office of International Services is committed to promoting the growth of the international community at Governors State University and to helping students meet their academic goals and have a successful and enjoyable experience while attending GSU. OIS offers assistance to students that desire to enhance their education by studying abroad. Please visit our office or contact our Study Abroad Coordinator, Amy Schoenberg, about the possibility of participating in a study abroad experience.

  • Programs


    • GSU is constantly working to arrange for permanent relationships with foreign universities
    • In the future we plan to offer traditional semester or year-long study abroad trips.
    • GSU is working to ensure that both short-term and longer education abroad trips are offered on a regular, annual basis.

    GSU faculty have led trips in the past to diverse locations. Some examples include:  


    The College of Education faculty took students to Thailand during the winter intersession in 2013 and 2014 for a course on Diversity and Multicultural Counseling in Thailand. Accompanied by faculty, the students attended workshops and served as mentors to shelter workers and medical professionals throughout Thailand. They shared their knowledge and experiences with the Thai people who are still working to develop their counseling profession. Many of the students descrived this as a life changing experience that gave them a new perspective on counseling as well as themselves as professionals.


    GSU students visited China during the Summer 2012 session. They attended an international trade show and visited key locations around the country.


    Led by GSU faculty, students were able to travel to the Ukraine during the spring break period in the Spring 2012 session. Students participated in service learning and gained valuable firsthand experience.

    Upcoming Trips

    GSU faculty are currently planning trips to multiple locations. Please contact the Office of International Services for more details.

  • Application


    Education Abroad includes semester/year programs and short term programs which take place during official breaks (i.e. faculty-led programs, service learning abroad, J-term, summer sessions or Spring Break).
    All applicants are expected to meet the following requirements:

    1. You are currently enrolled at GSU as a degree-seeking student (some faculty-led and service learning programs will accept non-degree seeking students).
    2. Undergraduates have successfully completed at least 24 credit hours of coursework at a U.S. higher education institution at the time of application. Graduates have successfully completed at least 18 credit hours of coursework at a U.S. higher education institution at the time of application. 
    3. Undergraduates must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above (although students may apply if their GPA is above 2.0). Graduates must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above. Please note that some programs outside of GSU may require a higher cumulative GPA.
        Undergraduate applicants with GPAs between 2.0-2.5 are required to:

    • Meet with the Study Abroad Coordinator to discuss academic and personal preparedness to study abroad.
    • Ask a professor who has had them in class to submit a Letter of Recommendation.
    • Submit an additional essay explaining why their GPA is below 2.5.

            The essay should demonstrate that:

    • Their GPA is stable or improving.
    • They have strong academic and/or personal interests in their study abroad location and/or courses, which are apparent in their course choices at GSU, extracurricular activities, application essays, etc.
    • They have a compelling academic rationale for studying abroad during the term(s) indicated.                           

    In addition to the above criteria, in order to participate in a study abroad program, you must meet the following requirements:
    1.    Demonstrate evidence of maturity, responsibility and preparation for study abroad.
    2.    Good financial standing with no holds on your GSU student account.
    3.    Good academic and community standing at time of application and up to the point of travel.
    4.    Pay all fees to the program in full.
    5.    Attend GSU’s Pre-Departure Orientation.


    Please meet with Amy Schoenberg during open advising hours or by scheduling an appointment to discuss the Study Abroad application process.

    You may schedule an appointment by completing a Study Abroad Appointment Request Form and submitting it to or submitting it to the OIS front desk during open advising hours.

    The complete Study Abroad application packet is available here.

  • Study Abroad Scholarships



    Governors State University Study Abroad Scholarship

    GSU is proud to offer a study abroad scholarship for current students. Please contact the Study Abroad Coordinator if you have questions about the scholarship application. You can find the scholarship application included in the complete study abroad application packet here.



    Financing Education Abroad:

    Study Abroad Loans
    Study Abroad Writing Contest -

    Education Abroad Scholarships and Funding

    Freeman Asia Awards
    For study in China, Japan, Thailand and other Asian programs.

    DAAD-German Exchange
    The German Academic Exchange Service-DAAD offers undergraduate scholarships to highly qualified undergraduate students.

    Fulbright Scholarships
    Since 1946, the Department of State Fulbright Program has funded U.S. students and faculty to study and/or conduct research in other countries, in order to foster mutual understanding between nations.

    Benjamin Gilman Scholarship
    This program offers a competition for awards for study abroad, for U.S. citizen students who are receiving federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university.

    IIE Passport listing of scholarships
    List of financial aid, grant, and scholarships for individuals.

    National Security Education Program
    The National Security Education Program funds U.S. students to study and/or conduct research in other countries, to educate Americans in cross-cultural and global issues and strengthen U.S. economic competitiveness and national security.

    Information for both U.S. and international students looking for scholarships to attend college in the USA.

    The British Council
    Information about scholarships to study in Great Britain.

    United Nations Educations, Scientific and Cultural Organization listing of scholarships (UNESCO)
    Information on scholarships offered by higher education institutions and international organizations in 129 countries.

  • Health & Safety


    All study abroad participants are required to have international health insurance coverage for the duration they are outside the U.S. by purchasing a health plan through GSU for the study abroad term. OIS encourages students and their families to review the following information on health and safety.



    Traveling abroad can be a wonderful experience. However, students must take certain precautions to ensure their own safety while participating in a study abroad program. The links below provide excellent advice on precautions:

    The Office of International Services urges you to read all of these materials carefully and to begin using the Department of State website now - before you leave the U.S. - so that you are completely familiar with it and able to use it regularly while abroad. Use it to check updates on safety conditions and travel advisories for the country in which you are studying or traveling, as well as for those countries to which you are planning to travel.

    We also recommend that you register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate when you arrive abroad. This should be done for each group studying/traveling abroad, unless the U.S. Embassy or Consulate indicates otherwise. You should also make sure that you have the U.S. Embassy or Consulate telephone number and address, together with other emergency telephone numbers, while you are traveling.

  • Resources


    US Department of State Travel and Passport Information

    Mobility International - Empowering people with disabilities around the world to achieve their human rights through international exchange and international development.

    World Citizens Guide: Practical Advice for Americans Traveling Abroad (PDF)

    Guides & Resources

    Search the following databases:

    For Handbooks, Guides and Other Resources:

    Travel Blogs & Resources:

    Student Travel Discounts:

  • FAQs


    Will I receive credits for studying abroad?

    Most programs do have credit associated with them. The Office of International Services will work with you and with your academic advisor to determine whether or not the credits can apply toward your degree program while you are abroad.

    How can I use the credits that I earn abroad?

    Most students use their credits to fulfill their general education requirements. Depending on your area of study and which program you choose, these credits may also count toward your major or minor. It is important to consult with your academic advisor as early as possible to see which requirements you can fulfill abroad. This way, you can avoid taking classes twice and make sure you still graduate in four years.

    How much more does it cost to go abroad than to stay on campus?

    The costs per programs vary greatly depending on destination and the length of stay. However, OIS will work with you and with the academic department to make the trip as affordable as possible. Please speak with the Study Abroad Coordinator to determine the costs for your program.

    Will I still receive my financial aid?

    Speak with the Office of Financial Aid to ensure that you are able to use any eligible aid to help cover the costs of your study abroad program.

    Additionally, study abroad scholarships may also be available for certain programs. Contact if you have further questions.

    What year should I go abroad?

    Students may go abroad at any time during their stay at Governors State University, as long as you have completed at least 24 credit hours at a U.S. higher education institution. However, depending on your major and the program you choose, there may times that fit better with your academic plan. You should consult with your academic advisor and with the Study Abroad Coordinator to see when would be the best time for you to go.

    Do I need a Foreign Language?

    Not necessarily. Many of the short-term faculty-led trips are designed for students that do not require any foreign language competency. Additionally, there are many third-party study abroad trips that are designed in a similar fashion so that the main language of instruction is English. Please meet with the Study Abroad Coordinator to find a trip that is right for you.

    When and how should I apply to study abroad?

    It is recommended that students apply to study abroad two semesters in advance, though students may begin inquiring sooner. Please meet with your academic advisor and the Study Abroad Coordinator as soon as possible to discuss the possibility of studying abroad.